Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Neutral Safety Switch

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
OK, so I went to install my neutral safety switch and I am a bit confused. The shaft that the NSS is supposed to slide on doesn't have any grooves and also there is no spot for a mounting/retaining bolt. Here is a pic of my transmission. Can I even mount a NSS switch on there?

IMG_1633.jpg

IMG_1634.jpg

What year is the trans case from? It doesn't look like it is threaded for the NSS to mount to. Here's a pic of mine.

dsc01449.jpg

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
Ranger, not even sure what year. I told the company who I bought the tranny from what I had and went from there. Not until now did I notice this. It sure is very different from yours. But, yeah, it doesn't look like it was made to have a NSS mounted there. It must be an older tranny. They never asked me though if the NSS was mounted on the column and I never told them. Never gave it a thought. I guess I just thought a NSS could be mounted on a C6 without any troubles.

It looks like your only option is to figure out what year the case is from and use an NSS from that wired to your truck or don't use one. Not having an NSS is a pretty big gamble though. That sure does suck.

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
It looks like your only option is to figure out what year the case is from and use an NSS from that wired to your truck or don't use one. Not having an NSS is a pretty big gamble though. That sure does suck.

I'm betting the tranny wasn't made for one and I am supposed to use one mounted on the column. Problem is, I have a 79 column so I can't do that, or can I.

And yes, it is a gamble not having one and I won't have reverse lights either. This sucks.

Last edited:
The 77 trans does not have a transmission mounted NSS

on the 77 it is on the column

NSSscrew.jpg

1978/79 is transmission mounted like his pic above.

Last edited:

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
D, is it possible to mount a NSS on a 79 tilt column? I'm not worried about the wiring since I have to run new anyway. Otherwise, I may end up switching out that shifter in the tranny and taping out that stub for a bolt and see if I can mount that switch there. One bolt should work to hold the switch.

The other idea my brother and I had was to use a relay and figure out how to use the brake light switch as a NSS. I won't have reverse lights, but at least something. I figured I would have to apply the brake to open the switch in order to start the truck. Just kicking around Ideas. If anyone has anything they'd like to share let me know.

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles