Ford Truck Fanatics

Home Forum Gallery TOTM Links Sponsors Calendar Arcade Calculators
Go Back   Ford Truck Fanatics > F-Series > Generation 10
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read My Threads / My Replies Fliers

Find us on Facebook

Generation 10 1997-2003 F150, F250LD incl. 2004 Heritage

Welcome to the Ford Truck Fanatics forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Login for fewer ads.

Old 11-01-2008, 06:31 PM

eallanboggs is on a distinguished road
How to remove T50 Torx bolts to get bed off?

I'm trying to remove the T50 Torx bolts on a 99 F150 to get the bed off to replace the fuel pump. I've already broken 3 T50 Torx bits. When I turn the Torx bolt the nut under the chassis turns. When I put a socket or a box wrench on the nut and try to remove the Torx bolt either the bit snaps off or the corners of the nut get rounded off. I've even tried 6 point sockets and the corners of the nuts still get rounded off. There threads are somewhat rusted(I've seen worse) so I sprayed on a lot of PB Blaster, but that didn't help. Any sugestions would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-2008, 06:42 PM
FTFS Designated DRINKER!

TexasNomad has a reputation beyond reputeTexasNomad has a reputation beyond reputeTexasNomad has a reputation beyond reputeTexasNomad has a reputation beyond reputeTexasNomad has a reputation beyond reputeTexasNomad has a reputation beyond reputeTexasNomad has a reputation beyond reputeTexasNomad has a reputation beyond reputeTexasNomad has a reputation beyond reputeTexasNomad has a reputation beyond reputeTexasNomad has a reputation beyond repute
Welcome to FTF glad to have ya.
Sounds like you got a peach there the only things I could tell you that might work is if you have a torch heat that bolt up good and hot and let it cool of repeat this a few times also I have gotten off some really rusty bolts by doing it this way.
There is another way there is a type of spray called freeze off comes in a white can you spray it on the nut/bolts and it freeze the metal you could try this of a combo of the heating then spray the hot bolt with the freeze.
Or you could always grind the bolt off.
02 Ranger Edge 4x4 4.0

Tex the AK-toting Liyote
Old 11-01-2008, 07:06 PM
caffeine junkie

Super Moderator

john112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond repute
My Ranger is set up a bit differently, with welded nuts (sorta) on the frame.

I did have to use a torch on at least three of them, but never broke a bit fighting with it.

Only other suggestion would be to get an angle grinder and cut the tops off the bolts. You'll have to replace the bolts, of course, but if they're that rusted, you probably would anyway.

Ain't rust a pain?

Oh- and welcome to FTF!

1997 Ranger XLT 4x2, 2.3L 4-cyl 5-speed -- 2009 Ranger XLT 4x4, 4.0L V-6 5-speed -- 1986 BMW R80

The advantages of modern engineering are in many ways over balanced by the disadvantages of modern civilization.
--Col. W.A. Roebling
Old 11-01-2008, 07:10 PM
Charter Member

lenny1carl has a reputation beyond reputelenny1carl has a reputation beyond reputelenny1carl has a reputation beyond reputelenny1carl has a reputation beyond reputelenny1carl has a reputation beyond reputelenny1carl has a reputation beyond reputelenny1carl has a reputation beyond reputelenny1carl has a reputation beyond reputelenny1carl has a reputation beyond reputelenny1carl has a reputation beyond reputelenny1carl has a reputation beyond repute
I'd suggest dropping the tank as opposed to a top side attack.

Old 11-01-2008, 07:11 PM
FTFS Designated DRINKER!

TexasNomad has a reputation beyond reputeTexasNomad has a reputation beyond reputeTexasNomad has a reputation beyond reputeTexasNomad has a reputation beyond reputeTexasNomad has a reputation beyond reputeTexasNomad has a reputation beyond reputeTexasNomad has a reputation beyond reputeTexasNomad has a reputation beyond reputeTexasNomad has a reputation beyond reputeTexasNomad has a reputation beyond reputeTexasNomad has a reputation beyond repute
Remember once you get those boogers off use some anti sneeze on them..
02 Ranger Edge 4x4 4.0

Tex the AK-toting Liyote
Old 11-01-2008, 07:40 PM
Greatest man alive

sicktight722 has a spectacular aura aboutsicktight722 has a spectacular aura about
i would try to heat it up if i were you. Maybe you could put some vise grips on the nut to try to hold it. If that doesn't work grind them suckers off and get some hex head bolts to replace them. Also i have never had much luck with those little hand held propane torches, but a real torch heats it up nice.

1993 F150 I6/E4OD 2WD/Short Bed...Stock Everything

"From Chaos Comes Clarity"--311..

http://s11.photobucket.com/albums/a196/Bigsexy1086/

USC Student
Go Gamecocks!!!

"You can love me or hate me, But I swear it won't make me or break me"

Last edited by sicktight722 : 11-01-2008 at 07:42 PM.
Old 11-01-2008, 07:44 PM
Let 'er eat boys!

lil_dq has a reputation beyond reputelil_dq has a reputation beyond reputelil_dq has a reputation beyond reputelil_dq has a reputation beyond reputelil_dq has a reputation beyond reputelil_dq has a reputation beyond reputelil_dq has a reputation beyond reputelil_dq has a reputation beyond reputelil_dq has a reputation beyond reputelil_dq has a reputation beyond reputelil_dq has a reputation beyond repute
I had the same problem with mine when I did the Body lift. After 3 torx bits myself, I ground the heads off and then got new nuts and bolts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john112deere
I am serving our country, one state at a time!
Moderator: Audio&Video, Body Work and Paint, Custom Fabrication, E-series, Everything Else Ford or Ford Powered
General Conversation, Generation 10, Lightning/Harley Davidson/Roush, Lounge, Medium Duty Trucks, Off-Road
Personal Announcements & Introductions, Trailers and Towing
Old 11-01-2008, 11:01 PM
hitech hillbilly

Super Moderator

smokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond repute
I have welded the bottom nuts fast then weled a few nuts to the top of the bolts inside the bed and they eithcer come loose or twist off. Easiest way I found to get them off unless you have a oxy/act troch to burn them off with.

Old 11-02-2008, 07:27 AM
PA Chapter leader

Lost is just really niceLost is just really niceLost is just really niceLost is just really niceLost is just really nice
Torch or grind thebad ones off .Or drill out top and punch bolt down trough.

I don't remove bed to work on tanks . Found out long ago that those 6/8 big bolts r usually way more pain than some strap bolts and scratched hands.
But u can clean frame while bed is off. As well as check everything easily.

94 F150 302 MAf E4od sc long bed 4x4 3:55 LS rears
9MM Ford racing wires MSD cap & rotor and Blaster coil coil . 14-15 MPG Thanks

95 F150 300-6 auto 4x4 8 ft bed barney mobile (yep its purple) . 1 ton front coil and f260 rear leaf suspension Its the plow/firewood truck