Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

transmission

just got a 98 nascar edition f150. it has a 4.6 auto in it 4r70w. i got it knowing the tranny was bad and im going to be pulling it probably this weekend. it has no 3 or 4th but everything else works great, all the external sensors have been replaced by the guy i got it from. im going to pull it apart and possibly rebuild it, but i have also heard that some of the newer trannys are stronger then this one. anybody know about how long it takes to pull tranny on one of these its 2wd, and does anybody know if it maybe something simple or am i looking at burnt direct clutch pack. the od band is still good i do believe becuase when i pull it into 2nd manually it does have engine braking.

blacksnapon

Staff member
just got a 98 nascar edition f150. it has a 4.6 auto in it 4r70w. i got it knowing the tranny was bad and im going to be pulling it probably this weekend. it has no 3 or 4th but everything else works great, all the external sensors have been replaced by the guy i got it from. im going to pull it apart and possibly rebuild it, but i have also heard that some of the newer trannys are stronger then this one. anybody know about how long it takes to pull tranny on one of these its 2wd, and does anybody know if it maybe something simple or am i looking at burnt direct clutch pack. the od band is still good i do believe becuase when i pull it into 2nd manually it does have engine braking.
You've got a burnt direct clutch pack. The only thing it does is third and fourth.

thank you for ruining my evening, lol, just kidding i figured thats what it was but dont hurt to ask. can you change the rear main seal on the 4.6 with just pulling the tranny out or does it require pulling engine and do you have to loosen the rear main cap to do it. i havent gotten that deep with the mod
v8s yet

blacksnapon

Staff member
thank you for ruining my evening, lol, just kidding i figured thats what it was but dont hurt to ask. can you change the rear main seal on the 4.6 with just pulling the tranny out or does it require pulling engine and do you have to loosen the rear main cap to do it. i havent gotten that deep with the mod
v8s yet
I believe its full circle (pull the trans.)

Ford Truck Articles