Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

1966 Camper special

First of all, I am new to the site as of today..Great site..!!

I have a 1966 F-250 and want to put the fuel tank under the bed, between the rails.

Is there is an existing tank that will fit?

I have heard that a mustang or cougar tank will fit..

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Hiya and welcome to FtF.
I'm not sure about a existing tank that will fit maybe some with more knowledge can answer that one.
But you could all ways buy a aftermarket fuel cell and mount it where you want it.

Can you get some measurements between the frame rails?

What a lot of people use is gastanks.com

http://www.quantaproducts.com/home.asp

to find the size that will fit. You can order them new from them fairly reasonably, but DO NOT tell them you are retrofitting them into something else. They get all upset about that!

On the older trucks (like mine) the late 60s mustang tank is a good fit. No way to compare that to yours without knowing some measurements though.

Oh...I was busy answering...I forgot to welcome you aboard. :wavey:

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
hey welcome to the site! i believe although im not 100% sure on it but i think any tank from the 70's and up in the f-series will work size wise with a little modification. do you happen to have the rail to rail measurements?

Fellro

Staff member
I could get a measurement of my 77, and one of the 80's as well, then we can compare numbers. I'm sure a Mustang tank would fit, but be small.

OK,
I got the measurements...

38 x 25.5, and there is about 4"from top of frame to the bottom of the bed..

I tried the gastanks.com site, and it looks as if the cougar or mustang tank will work perfectly..I will let you know.

Thanks a ton for the site info..it made it easy to look up tank sizes!!

66 F100 tank under bed

Well I ended up with an aluminum tank 18.5 Gallons and thought I could fit it on the side of the truck where the auxilary tank goes and used the locking door already there. I was a perfect width but unfortunately a couple of inches too long and interferred with the spring so I had to resort to the back of the truck and put it in between the frame rails.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts