Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

1999 5.4- 7.5 swap?

I have (maybe) access to a 1997 f250 that was rolled. It was a 4x4, 7.5 gas, automatic truck. I currently own a 1999 f250 4x4 with the 5.4 has anyone done this swap? Would I be crazy to do it? I will (maybe) have both trucks in the driveway to do the swap. So much I’m not sure about. I haven’t been involved in much anything major car wise since 1980-1990 years. I know the old 460 trucks would run circles around the 5.4 but I don’t know about the 1997 model? Just thought I’d ask before really commuting to getting the other truck.
It may be time to cut my losses on my 1999 but it’s just been my favorite truck for many years even though it’s under powered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

heavydoc

Instigator
Staff member
WNC
Frame mounts for the engine are different. You would also need to swap the front cross member

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Frame's wider, engine sets back further under cab. Pcm is totally wired different, in a different spot. You would be better looking for a 6.8 upgrade

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Its possible if you have paitence. Wireing will be the biggest issue but you maybe able to do it if you use the harness and ECM from the 460. Youll also need to fab motor mounts and use the 460's tranny.

The 460 is about the same as that year 5.4L for HP but the 460 has a tremendous torque advantage and it comes on much lower in the revs. I have a 97 F250 with the 460 and its a friggin powerhouse. Unpopular opinion but the (early) V10s still dont have that snort like a 460 unless youre constantly running 65+mph, and the 460 dont shoot spark plugs.

That being said i have no idea how the PATS system or the gauges in the SD will work with the 97's wireing.

If this is going to be a play truck you might look into swapping the heads and manifold on the 460 to run it with a carburator, save alot of headache. Get a standalone ECM for the 460's E4OD and then just run sunpro gauges

Ford Truck Articles