Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

2022 Ford F-150 Lightning goes into pre-production

Ludachris

Staff member
The all electric Ford F-150 Lighting - at a starting price of $39,974, a range of 300 miles, output of 563hp, 10k lbs towing capacity, and 2k lbs payload rating, is this really a truck that will truly open the flood gates to mass electric vehicle adoption? Seems like if Ford gets this right it has the potential to be one of the most important vehicles (not just trucks) in several decades. We all know that trucks rule in the US.

How many of you would actually be interested in this? I'm still an old school internal combustion engine guy, but I'm very interested to see how this plays out.

Last edited:

Fellro

Staff member
Range is everything for me. I run about 30 miles one way to work, and road trips of 500 miles one way with a trailer aren't uncommon. I almost jumped on a hybrid Escape until the miles and age of the battery scared me away. It had rust issues, but I figured probably could fix it since it was just a rear shock mount. I'm hoping either a power generation or battery breakthrough shows up soon so that it would be more worth it. Although disasters such as hurricanes or inland hurricanes (derecho) show that unless you can generate your own power, the grid isn't ready for full on electric.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Until they are reliable in minus 40, I will consider it then.
The one fly in the ointment with any of these electric vehicles is the power grid and existing infrastructure. Given that on a hot day household a/c units can cause consumption to spike and our overlords ask us to cut back on usage...I wonder how this will bode when 2 vehicles are plugged in pulling 20kw from a house.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I'm guessing 2 vehicles in a driveway would tax a typical juicebox to the limit?
Depends on the level of charge. They can be charged at a house from 1800 watts all the way up to 11kw. The issues that are arise are multiple.
First is the size of the house service and associated loads within that house....a typical non electric heated house has a 100 amp service....take a 10kw load of charging a car....42 amps at 240v....and it is a continuous load....so you can see where that is going to lead.

With an electrically heated house you likely will have 20kw+ of connected heating load...even though they will normally be a 200amp services you just used up 84 amps of that.

Then there is the case of the utility supply....they will normally use transformers that are quite undersized and they do fine as most household loads are non continuous....as in they cycle on/off....start connecting a bunch of 10kw loads for several hours at a time and shit will start exploding and catching fire....then a step further upstream the primary HV cabling will become unhappy.

All in all it's pretty damn entertaining...for more shits and giggles see what dear 'ol Mr. Musk's awesome batteries are doing in Australia....hint...not well lol.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
I just learned a lot! Thank you. The other part of the story is that power generation tends to shed load at night for various reasons, such as demand for load. The other reason is to work on equipment at night when generation is down. That window of opportunity could disappear if charging cars happens at night.

It's about battery production plants and Battery rapid Charging stations. Both don't actually exist until around 2025. The range won't fit my needs until I can easily do a 600 mile round trip with out a lot of delays, detours etc. to get there and then back home. I can see the daily commuter, maybe around 175 / 200 miles a day loving these electrics. Until they get it right I do 20% green with Solar reducing my electric NG plant Generation ! Maybe in 10 years this Green thing will actually work and things will be ok. My money is on 30 years to even get close !

Some wholesale manufacturing plants slows down in the prime AC necessary power load times 11 am-7pm ; they get rebates from the Power Companies during those times & here is where Green Power can help out with solar and Wind Turbines. During the evening sure the NG plants are going to come back full line cause the others are diminished over night. Of course its all about measurable CO2 tons going up the stacks & that has a lot to do with technologies coming online quick that are more efficient at capturing the CO2 . Most likely all Gas and Diesel Motors will wear a Condom to capture CO2 also. Yuck ! Yep most homes with 2 or 3 electric vehicles in the drive will have to have a second 200 amp service to provide each car with a 50 amp 240 volt plug service.

It doesn't take a dreamer to realize real quick that electrical power generation as a way to power America will have to grow near 5 fold to meet the needs coming by 2030 to be green. even with the above solved. Its a Cluster____ that has to be solved.

Last edited:

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
The tech is wild. But nothing outside of the vehicle itself is ready. And the range isn't there. Doesn't help the range will drop as time goes on.

We had a customer the other day, with a 2013 (I think) Kia Soul Ev. I'd never seen one. He moved to Nashville from Canada. Idr what part wanna say Quebec. But anyways, I asked him how he got the car here and he said he drove. So I of course halfway giggled while asking how long did it take? 6 days. Drive for an hour stop, charge at a rapid charger for 30 minutes. Over and over. He said southern Illinois and Kentucky were no rapid chargers so took a long time to get through there. Come to find out it only debut with like 94 mile range (similar to the original Nissan Leafs) and his range was already down to around 65 miles.

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
The tech is wild. But nothing outside of the vehicle itself is ready. And the range isn't there. Doesn't help the range will drop as time goes on.

We had a customer the other day, with a 2013 (I think) Kia Soul Ev. I'd never seen one. He moved to Nashville from Canada. Idr what part wanna say Quebec. But anyways, I asked him how he got the car here and he said he drove. So I of course halfway giggled while asking how long did it take? 6 days. Drive for an hour stop, charge at a rapid charger for 30 minutes. Over and over. He said southern Illinois and Kentucky were no rapid chargers so took a long time to get through there. Come to find out it only debut with like 94 mile range (similar to the original Nissan Leafs) and his range was already down to around 65 miles.
I have customers already complaining about milage in there new electric Mustangs. Just yesterday had a girl with one it has the standard battery, she used to get 300 miles from a full charge now down to 286. She’s had the car less than a year.

Whad did they say, the new batteries are best effiecient and last longest if you never fully charge them. So you loose around 50 miles per charge to protect the things. So say you got 250 miles per need of charge to protect the thing, I would barely be able to drive around the City. And Maybe end up in a bad neighborhood with my Hey Seri where is the nearest charge station or just be a theft magnet at a charger station more likely ? So far the small fast charger stations I have found are deserted. Now you go there and sit in your car for 45 minutes all alone on the deserted edge of a parking lot.

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
I have customers already complaining about milage in there new electric Mustangs. Just yesterday had a girl with one it has the standard battery, she used to get 300 miles from a full charge now down to 286. She’s had the car less than a year.
Doesn't help the OEMs are putting like 8 & 10 year warranties on only X% of mileage drop over that time. And people are expecting better than that. And most aren't.

I was seriously considering a Hybrid due to my needed capabilities and range but, I'm gonna pass on these liquid cooled battery nightmares and fires ! Just looking at pictures of the frame with the battery and motor installed is well, not for me. The batteries bolt in from the bottom, maybe 6 bolts, well NADA ! All this is +10 years away most likely 30 if averaged out by past history changes & building and installing structure to maintain this conundrum Fx !
My next F150 will be a 2.7 XLT just like the past ! Then I will have 3 of them built after 11 and just fine machines.

The fact that the only real change since 1970 is Smart phones, smart TV's and Mouthy GPS Units, and expensive dentists, many times all of which aren't worth a damb! :cool:

Last edited:

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Cold decreases the battery life, but the degrading of power is supposed to be over 10+ years. Our Mustang EV dropped considerably when it got cold up here, but not too bad.
I can imagine. Getting 300 miles +/- on a full charge. Having to find someplace to charge then waiting 8 to 24 hours for a full charge depending on the charging equipment.
8-24 hours? That's crazy.....these charging stations will fully charge our Mustang from 0-80% in 45 minutes....some of the smaller chargers will take longer, but most that are being installed are the fast chargers and now that we can use Telsa stations, it shouldn't be too bad, even traveling across country.
Yeah, cross country would certainly be a big challenge.

Ford Truck Articles