Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

4.6 question

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
Update: throwing "lean condition" codes, according to my tech. They pulled the old fuel filter off, and it was so clogged you couldn't blow air through it. New filter's on it, brakes tomorrow morning, and we'll see how it goes.

Update: throwing "lean condition" codes, according to my tech. They pulled the old fuel filter off, and it was so clogged you couldn't blow air through it. New filter's on it, brakes tomorrow morning, and we'll see how it goes.

OOPS - finally did the easy part :beer:

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
that's no joke... and if the previous owner didn't know what a fuel filter was, you might be fighting 12 years and 170,000 miles of corrosive welding. Not that I've done it...

Ryan

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
As a follow-up here, EGR was cleaned along with injectors, to no avail. MAF sensor replaced yesterday ($299.86, ka ching) and check engine light is off, runs great. Lotta $$$ for a sensor is all I have to say.

Just remember that OBD are only as good as your sensors, and as you can see in the diagram below, You could have as many as FOUR O2 sensors in that vehicle for dual exhaust, and three for single.
O2diag.gif

Another thing to be wary of; Your Catalytic converter. If it's been in service for over 70k, it probably is due for changing.

Gunner

Charter Member
Billings
Nope- no new drivers, and the car's box-stock. Premium doesn't seem to make any difference. Typically happens on a steep uphill (like, driving up to our house every day), and especially noticeable in hot weather. Otherwise, the car runs great, gets good gas mileage, etc.

One Word: Timing

Go in and have a mechanic put a timing light on it. I'll bet it's slightly out of time.

Gunner

Bob Ayers

North Carolina Chapter member
Durham, NC
One Word: Timing

Go in and have a mechanic put a timing light on it. I'll bet it's slightly out of time.

Gunner

The timing won't be off with a PCM & EDIS.

Gunner

Charter Member
Billings
The timing won't be off with a PCM & EDIS.

If there is stretch in the timing chains it will, especially under a load.......

Gunner

Bob Ayers

North Carolina Chapter member
Durham, NC
If there is stretch in the timing chains it will, especially under a load.......

Gunner

That will only retard the valve timing, ignition timing is controlled by the crankshaft position sensor.......

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts