Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

4x4 question

slmann

Charter Member
Festus, Mo.
Guy at work is looking at an 02 FX4 and an 03 FX4. One has the push button or switch for the 4x4 the other has the stick on the floor. Which is better or are they the same? Any problems with either one?

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
Stick on the floor...

The push button is controlled by an electric motor, the lever on the floor, actually does the work changing of gears, if the electric motor goes out, no 4wd for you....
Its ALOT harder for the stick to "go out"

blacksnapon

Staff member
Both have advantages and disadvantages. Extra electronics and circuitry in one (but more convenient), simplicity in the other (but with less floor space). It amounts to a decision as to what you are going to use the vehicle for, and how much convenience you want.

Definitely the stick on the floor, with manual hubs. That way there isn't any way for anything to fail because it is all mechanical. The button isnt really easier to use either considering if the hubs are already locked in, all you have to do is reach down and pull back. If you have automatic hubs/transfer case, its not if its going to break, but when.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
I am partial to the 02! LOL No reason, other than i like the stick!....dang that sounded BAD!

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
Only manual T cases!

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
Son Nick was complaining when he bought the Ranger new that there wasn't the option of getting a manual-shift 4X4. Bigger'n chitt, guess what's starting to cause problems now?

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
I despise the push button shift. Works fine till you need it. My explorer has it and I hate it.
I always call it the push and pray shift button.

smiliewhathesaid smilieIagree

Unfortunately the push button 4WD feature is one of those items that looks good on paper but does not work reliably in the field. To many electric & vacuum operated components to fail when you need the system the most. IMO push button 4WD was designed for the 4WD owners who are soccer moms/dads and only have 4WD to impress there friends and the only time they go off road is in the grocery store parking lot, so if 4wd doesn't ever work "no problem".

Bottom line, if your buddy really needs 4WD and needs it to work every time get the manual lever. On the other hand if your buddy doesn't really need 4WD then the push button system will be just fine.

fords4life91

"The best NEVER rest"
Definitely the stick on the floor, with manual hubs. That way there isn't any way for anything to fail because it is all mechanical. The button isnt really easier to use either considering if the hubs are already locked in, all you have to do is reach down and pull back. If you have automatic hubs/transfer case, its not if its going to break, but when.

There is NO hubs on these year trucks. The CV axles are always spinning, there is a vacuum actuator in the middle that disengages the axle from the front diff.

There is NO hubs on these year trucks. The CV axles are always spinning, there is a vacuum actuator in the middle that disengages the axle from the front diff.

Hm, I never knew that. :) 'smiliedoh' :rofl:

The less automation the better though in 4x4 components the better though.

nope, no manual hubs on this gen f150, they all have cv axels.. and they all have the same common problem.. vaccum leaks.. the fork that engages the axel is vaccum controlled.. with the stick you dont have to worry about the electric motor going out which is a pain to replair/replace.. have to drop the t-case..

but it is common for the forks to "freeze" and typically NOT engaged, but it is mainly due to vaccum not working correctly..

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts