Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

6.0L Stock Garrett vs Garrett Powermax

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
Ive been searching the net for the last few days trying to determine a way to go with my truck here in hopefully the not to distant future.. Trying to decide whether to rebuild my turbo with a wickid wheel or just upgrade it to a powermax. But problem is it seems no matter where you go the descriptions change between the 2.

Was wondering if the "Experts" here to give like a Pro's and Cons between the 2 turbo setups.

Of what ive read (depending on the site). Some people have said the lag's longer on the powermax, where stock ones quicker.. others have said the opposite. But one commonality between all the reports ive seen said the Powermax tops out much quicker than the stock leaving the upper RPM band lacking in power.

a Downside/upside depending on how you look at it they all state the powermax is way louder over the stock turbo.. which leads to wondering would it be so loud that its uncomfortable for long duration trips? this trucks my travel rig, and as much as i like hearing the turbo "whistle" (as i call it) i dont want something that crosses into the annoyingly loud category for long trips.

I do plan to eventually tow with my rig.. so please take that into consideration too. Id like more power but also want it throughout the RPM's and the reliability/longevity.

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
If you want stock get stock. If you want performance then upgrade. The power max is a bigger turbo. There are 2 different power max turbos that fit 6.0s as well. One is very close to stock the other is quite a bit bigger. I have a few buddies with power max turbos. They both like them but YOU HAVE TO TUNE YOUR TRUCK FOR THEM you can't expect a stock tune to handle that turbo without some sort of negative side affects.

I think the gains and losses you get from the power max are 99% in the hands of your tune.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
http://www.riffraffdiesel.com/garrett-powermax-gt3788va-turbo-04-07/

if i was going to upgrade it would be that one... which powermax it is i couldnt say.. im new to these turbo things.. just trying to find out what the actual differences are in them and how they effect the truck...

im having to rebuild my current one due to the cheaper short term repair i was told would fix it didnt... lack of funds for a new turbo made it impossible to upgrade to the powermax at this time... but still would like more performance later on... but want to know more about them... in comparison to the stock one

do understand the powermax would need a tune.. but still wondering how differently they perform.. such as like problems with towing? would it top off at say 3000 rpms vs 4500 or 5000... ect ect.. things like that are what im trying to figure out...

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
If the truck is tuned correctly you will notice better all around performance the only downside is a bit more turbo lag which a good tune can help with. Remember you need to add the cost of a tuner (500 bones) and a custom tune (100 bones) with that turbo. I recommend innovative diesel. They do good work and I've never heard a compaint. Also an sct will get you a good start tuning. Might not want to get crazy with that turbo upgrade until head studs are done and egr delete. BTW head studs are like 3 grand...if your heads aren't cracked. 2 grand more if they are.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
problem is i cant do an egr delete here... i could do the head studs myself later on... just going to rebuild the one i have for now with a slight upgrade to it... tune woulda had to wait as well even if i could have upgraded the turbo to powermax...

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
The head studs require a cab removal if i remember correctly.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
The head studs require a cab removal if i remember correctly.

actually it can be done without removing the cab.. its just more a PITA since its squeezed in there...

theres only 2 ways to pull that engine if you have to ever resort to it... lifting the cab is the main way... the other is tearing everything off the front end of the truck and pulling it straight out the front..

actually it can be done without removing the cab.. its just more a PITA since its squeezed in there...

theres only 2 ways to pull that engine if you have to ever resort to it... lifting the cab is the main way... the other is tearing everything off the front end of the truck and pulling it straight out the front..

It would be interesting to see how to install it by lifting. Already getting the powermax?

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
It would be interesting to see how to install it by lifting. Already getting the powermax?

they just disconnect all the electrical connections, unbolt the fenders from the cab, then take the bolts from the cab mounts. once all that is disconnected they use an outside post to pick it up.

Not at this time unfortunately. couldnt afford the powermax so had to just rebuild what i have but did change out the compressor wheel to get a few more PSI of boost.. she hauls butt off the line now.. since i got her shes been slow to get off the line.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts