Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

77 ford 460 idle issues

i have a 1977 ford 460 engine. runs great down the road. she is a very hard starter when she is cold, lots of pedal pumps to get her going. she idles like she has a huge cam while cold and after driving 50 miles. the weird thing is that every so often at a stop light or when i park it idles completely smooth.

i was thinking it is a vacuum leak that occasionally seals itself. the problem with that theory is i have plugged all vacuum ports while parked and it still idles rough. my second theory is that it is something with the ignition or timing but i don't know where to start looking.

can a carburetor cause this type of behavior? any suggestions on how to diagnose and fix?

thanks

additional details: this is a stock engine out of a 77 ford van. the only non-factory components are the edlebrock carb (8867) and the adapter plate to attach it to the ford intake manifold.

The choke is electric and unplugged. I could blame the cold rough idle on that but not the rough idle after warm up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Have you checked the static timing?....have you checked the cap, plugs wires?

No I haven't. I am out of town at the moment. Just trying to form a game plan before I get back and start to work on it. I am hoping to get some info on things that can cause these symptoms that come and go.

Static timing: could being out of time cause this? If so, does it suggest the timing is too advanced or retarded?

Plugs: I have never had plugs fail and then start firing again

Cap & rotor: what do I look for?

Coil: could the voltage be low in the coil and occasionally increase and make the symptoms go away?

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
No I haven't. I am out of town at the moment. Just trying to form a game plan before I get back and start to work on it. I am hoping to get some info on things that can cause these symptoms that come and go.

Static timing: could being out of time cause this? If so, does it suggest the timing is too advanced or retarded?

possibly.....but verifying that it is correct is a start.

Plugs: I have never had plugs fail and then start firing again

worth checking...possibly cracked porcelains or wire that fails due to vibration or temperature

Cap & rotor: what do I look for?

Look for carbon tracking in the cap...worn contacts in the cap...corrosion of cap contacts...same deal with the rotor...look at the brass

Coil: could the voltage be low in the coil and occasionally increase and make the symptoms go away?

again...possibly....a crack in the case or an intermittent contact with the internal wiring

again...possibly....a crack in the case or an intermittent contact with the internal wiring

Workin' Rig

Stone Cold Bo Norris
Honestly, sounds to me like plug wires, OR brain box.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts