Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

82 wiring

Hello all. Recently bought an '82 F350 4X4 with 52,XXX actual miles.

Everything works except the wiring. Mice and the PO have stripped insulation and spliced in switches in odd places.

I have no dash lights, the tail lights are turned on with a toggle switch, no marker lights on the cab. The fuse for the tail lights is melted.

I would like a new wiring harness but haven't had much luck finding one, but not sure where to look. A wiring diagram would be nice also.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Fellro

Staff member
For wiring diagrams and other info, check out this area: http://www.fordtruckfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=132

Duncan (DNXFDNLI) took a lot of time scanning and uploading these manuals for everyone to use.

As far as getting a replacement harness, that will be difficult, as there isn't likely any new ones available, and the originals from that age will be a lot of times just as bad.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Thanks Roger....I haven't had a chance to do much scanning lately but I did go and look and I do have a 1982 wiring book...I will try to get it scanned for you tomorrow
You might want to scour fleabay for a harness....I have bought several NOS ones for my 79 and they were all perfect

Last edited:

Beach66Bum

Top Poster Of Month
Try and find someone parting out their truck, most of the time the wiring isn't being taken. I found an alternator wiring harness from a '82 for my truck, finally.

quick edit, better luck finding good condition harnesses from someone who's getting rid of their truck than the wreckers. At least the truck was for the most part, in recent running condition.

Last edited:
Thank you guys.

I think I found the information I need in the link posted. I'll tear into the dash a little deeper and see if I can find fix the shorts or need to look a little harder for a harness.

Duncan, their is surely a spot reserved for you in Old Ford Heaven for your labors scanning those manuals. Thank you.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Thanks and you are very welcome....it makes me happy to be able to help. I will get those 82 specific diagrams scanned and posted tomorrow anyway :)

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Well, I have been trying for 2 hours to figure out this Adobe program regarding stitching images together, I am about ready to pull out what little hair I have left.
It's all come back to me why I haven't scanned those diagrams yet...my scanner isn't quite big enough to get the page vertically.
I'll try to get it figured out.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Problem is resolution....forum software shrinks it too much...still working on it.

electrical_test_1a.png

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Got the stitching figured out...working on the resolution now.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts