Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

97 F250 HD 460 question?

Hey guys, long time no post but anyways...

I got a 97 F250 with the 460 (7.5L) and i have a bad exhaust leak at the drivers side manifold. My mechanic knows he can change it but is worried about destroying the A.I.R/EGR pipes in the process...

I know the EGR pipe is easy to come by but the crossover for the A.I.R is impossble to find. I was told and read defeating this system (i live in MI so no emission test) wont cause any ill effects. I had to replace my belt on that side anyways so i yanked the pully off the A.I.R pump and put on a shorter belt. All seems to be fine but ive only ran it about 10 miles.

Will i do any kind of damage to the cat, or throw a check engine on with this stuff disabled/removed? If i have to i guess i could drop some money to have a custom pipe made but id rather not because in a 2 or 3 yrs i got my sights on a superduty. But with the exhaust leak its cooking my back plug wire and i often use this truck to tow relativly long distances.

Any help is apperciated.

Kaajot

Micro Machine Manager
I don't have enough experience with my 460 yet to give advice, however.

If the AIR has electrical connections or sensors/solenoids, then my guess is you'll get a check engine light from the delete. Easy fix is of course to pull the bulb from behind the check engine light. :geek:

Not that I would do that! Going to go make kovefefe now and muse this over some more as I'll likely encounter it over my 460 (97 F350) at some point.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
AIR leans out the heads and cat. Eventually you will carbon up the valves. It will also cause your fuel mileage to drop.
There is a silicon hose kit that is available for patching rusted or damaged heat pipes on cat or AIR systems.

I would replace it

Ford Truck Articles