Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Bought an EcoBoost!

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
Haven't made an update in a hell of a while...

Coming up on 4 years of ownership here shortly. Still very happy with it. Rolled 68,000 miles last weekend. Haven't done much more than routine maintenance to it

bfc8270b85494ba7f73025922ce63c11.jpg
959d02bf0383a157fff638f7a87ccd09.jpg

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
Wow! I thought it would be much higher with the eco boost.

It all depends... I have the largest (heaviest) version of the F150, being a crew cab 6.5' bed 4x4. I also live where the speed limits are all 70-80mph. I also have slightly oversize tires.

Guys on other groups with supercab 2wds, flat roads, and 55mph speed limits see substantially higher mpg than I do

Also worth pointing out 15-16 is average for me, but I've seen as high as 21 out of it in ideal conditions

Beach66Bum

Top Poster Of Month
It all depends... I have the largest (heaviest) version of the F150, being a crew cab 6.5' bed 4x4. I also live where the speed limits are all 70-80mph. I also have slightly oversize tires.

Guys on other groups with supercab 2wds, flat roads, and 55mph speed limits see substantially higher mpg than I do

Also worth pointing out 15-16 is average for me, but I've seen as high as 21 out of it in ideal conditions

Ah, ok YelloThumbUp:beer:

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Coming up on 4 years of ownership here shortly. Still very happy with it. Rolled 68,000 miles last weekend.

Wow...I put more than 68k on in 4 years (if you add all the vehicles together)...and I live where things are close together.

Bet if I lived in your part of the world, 4 years would be close to 100k...and that'd be on top of whatever it had when you bought it.

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
Wow...I put more than 68k on in 4 years (if you add all the vehicles together)...and I live where things are close together.

Bet if I lived in your part of the world, 4 years would be close to 100k...and that'd be on top of whatever it had when you bought it.

3 of the 4 years I've owned it I've worked on the road most of the time so it sits at the office 5 days a week. Miles don't add up too quick.

I paid it off this spring though so I'm fine with the miles going on slowly... hopefully I have it for several years yet

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
Figured I'd drop in and make a 5 year update... because why not? :rofl:

Just rolled 77,000 miles almost 5 years to the day from when I bought it. I'd have to look back to do the exact math but I think that averages out to about 7,300 miles per year since I've owned it. Coincidentally my average fuel economy is sitting at exactly the same as the last time I posted an update... typically see in the 13s in winter and 15-16 in summer.

I have really had to do fuk all to it in 5 years. Did spark plugs and boots 3 years ago I think. Battery last winter as the factory one finally failed (on a -10° day of course). It needs all new lug nuts this year as the factory two piece ones are starting to swell up like they do. Not a super design there, Ford.

The number I used to estimate costs when I was buying it was to keep it till 150,000 miles... At my current rate that's another 10 years of ownership :rofl2: I have zero doubt it will make it there and beyond though, and the only major failures I consistently see on other first gen 3.5s are timing chain and water pump. In the grand scheme of things it's not a big deal if I end up having to do that considering the years I'll get out of it

0b289fbc89a51b5885919bd34e0acdef.jpg

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Wow! Has it been 5 years already??? That's pretty low yearly mileage. Happy New Year. We celebrated tonight in Miles City. Lindo was closed.smiliecrybaby

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
Yearly update lol... rolled 90k the other day as I approach 6 years of ownership in a few days. Which means I've put on 13,000 miles this year. Not honestly sure how as I think back on the year - those that have been following this thread through time know that's a bunch of miles for me. Haven't done anything but oil changes and a windshield that I can think of in the last 12 months. Continues to be very reliable and get mid teens for fuel mileage. Truck of course turned 10 this year which is also somewhat of a milestone I guess. It's starting to show it's age cosmetically a bit, biggest complaint currently is that the headlights are starting to fog over but that's minor in the big picture

4352B034-6FFD-4C47-8CEB-3F23019B2BE3.jpeg

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
Well time sure flies... another year, another 13k miles and I'm still not sure where they're coming from compared to years past. Did run into some issues this year, it's had the timing chain rattle at startup intermittently for quite a while and finally this summer started stumbling off idle and under moderate load. Throwing codes for cam/crank correlation. So I bit the $3,800 bullet and had the timing chains and cam phasers done... knew when I bought it that it's a weak point in the EcoBoost engines so I wasn't surprised. After that it's continued to be trouble free

E88F5DE6-907E-45D8-8533-6869FDECFA70.jpeg

Beach66Bum

Top Poster Of Month
Well time sure flies... another year, another 13k miles and I'm still not sure where they're coming from compared to years past. Did run into some issues this year, it's had the timing chain rattle at startup intermittently for quite a while and finally this summer started stumbling off idle and under moderate load. Throwing codes for cam/crank correlation. So I bit the $3,800 bullet and had the timing chains and cam phasers done... knew when I bought it that it's a weak point in the EcoBoost engines so I wasn't surprised. After that it's continued to be trouble free

View attachment 35689
Great to hear! I just bought new OEM headlights from the Ford dealer to replace the foggy ones on my 2002! I tried to revive them using Meguairs Plastix, but wasn’t happy.

Ford Truck Articles