Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus review

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
Mustangs and other performance cars kinda fall into a different category. If you have such a car, or tires from one, use caution. I assume those are low profile? The shorter the sidewall the more the air pressure will affect handling. With traditional sized tires, I still stand by my original statement.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
With the way cars are getting, more and more of them are getting low profile tires.

The wheels we are using are only 1 inch taller than factory. They are 17" wheels. 18" wheels were available so it's kind of a moot point. I believe an over inflated tire also wears the center of the tread much quicker.

Ryan

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Ben, careful doing that.

I am telling you, we aired up Erica's tires on the Mustang to the max 44psi and the things felt like basketballs, handling was dangerous.

Ryan

No worries...wasn't planning on, was just clarifying the theory. I fully expect to be back in my 80-85% of max pressure within a week.

I believe an over inflated tire also wears the center of the tread much quicker.

Ryan

That's true in any of my experience.

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
With the way cars are getting, more and more of them are getting low profile tires.

The wheels we are using are only 1 inch taller than factory. They are 17" wheels. 18" wheels were available so it's kind of a moot point. I believe an over inflated tire also wears the center of the tread much quicker.

Ryan

The mfgrs maximum safe pressure is not overinflation.

Not saying anybody is wrong, just expressing the opposite view here. Both are correct, there are pros and cons to inflating to the vehicle mfgrs pressure and the tire mfgrs pressure. Up to you, based or your individual vehicle.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Ok, now I'm really confused....I guess my number 1 priority would be long lasting, so would that be inflating to max pressure or somewhere in between as no to wear the inside by over-inflating?

:headbang:

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Just to add to the confusion, I use 10.5 X 15 Load Range C tires. The owner's manual (1978) lists the preferred tire pressure as 35 psi. The maximum pressure listed on the sidewall at some maximum weight is 50 psi. I usually run 42 psi to split the difference. With nothing in the bed of the truck, anything above 42 gives a pretty harsh ride. I haven't had any excess wear on the center of the tires.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Ok, now I'm really confused....I guess my number 1 priority would be long lasting, so would that be inflating to max pressure or somewhere in between as no to wear the inside by over-inflating?

:headbang:

I would not run max psi...you WILL wear out the centers. As for tire life, my personal opinion...I think you'd be just fine running them as low as 60% max psi...any lower than that and you're going to start seeing weird wear patterns on the shoulders of the tires. Personally, I think if you run your tires somewhere between 75-90% you'll capture the best of all worlds, and the difference in tire life will be negligible.

All that being said...let me add even further confusion...I also believe tire rotation time frames are a hoax that rate on up there with oil change intervals. So my tires only get rotated at every oil change, which I've said before is somewhere between 10-15k (depending on oil used and conditions). I wear my tires out to somewhere in the 4/32" range...and that's at a psi I deem acceptable. In doing so, I have never had any issue getting 30-35k out of (truck) bias tires and usually pull 45-50k out of (truck) radials and have never had an issue pulling 50-60k out of (passenger car) radials. Doesn't matter manufacturer, warranties, style of tire, etc. And that's at least, if not better, than average for the life expectancy of those tires.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Just to add to the confusion, I use 10.5 X 15 Load Range C tires. The owner's manual (1978) lists the preferred tire pressure as 35 psi. The maximum pressure listed on the sidewall at some maximum weight is 50 psi. I usually run 42 psi to split the difference. With nothing in the bed of the truck, anything above 42 gives a pretty harsh ride. I haven't had any excess wear on the center of the tires.

I would not run max psi...you WILL wear out the centers. As for tire life, my personal opinion...I think you'd be just fine running them as low as 60% max psi...any lower than that and you're going to start seeing weird wear patterns on the shoulders of the tires. Personally, I think if you run your tires somewhere between 75-90% you'll capture the best of all worlds, and the difference in tire life will be negligible.

All that being said...let me add even further confusion...I also believe tire rotation time frames are a hoax that rate on up there with oil change intervals. So my tires only get rotated at every oil change, which I've said before is somewhere between 10-15k (depending on oil used and conditions). I wear my tires out to somewhere in the 4/32" range...and that's at a psi I deem acceptable. In doing so, I have never had any issue getting 30-35k out of (truck) bias tires and usually pull 45-50k out of (truck) radials and have never had an issue pulling 50-60k out of (passenger car) radials. Doesn't matter manufacturer, warranties, style of tire, etc. And that's at least, if not better, than average for the life expectancy of those tires.

Thanks for adding more confusion and also thanks for giving me some clarity and peace of mind at the same time.

Max PSI wearing the centers make me comfortable staying away from those high numbers on the side wall of the tires, mine being 50 at some max weight like Doug was talking about. I'm running my Bronco's at 40, which is 80% and FINALLY NOW feel comfortable leaving that and getting good life out them. They are pretty much brand new when I bought the Bronco the other week. Now, I'll have to check all our other vehicles. I'm curious to see how much I put in the dent cause when I took it out of storage, those things were super low. I got some air compressor gadgets for my birthday earlier this month which includes tire inflation stuff, so I'm happy about that.

On rotation, since we only put a few thousand (2-4k) miles on any of our vehicles in any given year, I rotate the tires once a year just because I can and that's served me well to keep all four the same wear until it's time to replace them.

Now that most of our vehicles have synthetic oil in them, I have to keep track of all this crap. I used to take our vehicles to prompto and had them adjust the tire pressure at every fill up and as soon as i left there every other oil change, I rotated the tires. Now that our oil is changed every other year or so, I want to keep better track personally.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Thanks for adding more confusion and also thanks for giving me some clarity and peace of mind at the same time.

Max PSI wearing the centers make me comfortable staying away from those high numbers on the side wall of the tires, mine being 50 at some max weight like Doug was talking about. I'm running my Bronco's at 40, which is 80% and FINALLY NOW feel comfortable leaving that and getting good life out them. They are pretty much brand new when I bought the Bronco the other week. Now, I'll have to check all our other vehicles. I'm curious to see how much I put in the dent cause when I took it out of storage, those things were super low. I got some air compressor gadgets for my birthday earlier this month which includes tire inflation stuff, so I'm happy about that.

On rotation, since we only put a few thousand (2-4k) miles on any of our vehicles in any given year, I rotate the tires once a year just because I can and that's served me well to keep all four the same wear until it's time to replace them.

Now that most of our vehicles have synthetic oil in them, I have to keep track of all this crap. I used to take our vehicles to prompto and had them adjust the tire pressure at every fill up and as soon as i left there every other oil change, I rotated the tires. Now that our oil is changed every other year or so, I want to keep better track personally.

Sounds like you'll need a ledger. :wasntme:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I was talking with my bosses the other day and they started in about 'the good ol' days'...they started talking about their tools of yesteryear, and one topic was about the manual hand written entries in some big green ledger book. I started poking fun at their age and whatnot (I'm 20 years younger than the next youngest)...guess who gets to learn how to use all their antiquated tools now...just in case the power goes out during closing. I just had to poke the sleeping bear.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
If a tire is pressured up it's maximum and doesn't have the load to utilize that pressure, it will crown resulting in less contact area with the road and if run like that for a long time, will wear down the center tread.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
If a tire is pressured up it's maximum and doesn't have the load to utilize that pressure, it will crown resulting in less contact area with the road and if run like that for a long time, will wear down the center tread.

So if it says 50 psi at max load, then you only pump the tire up that much if you're weighing the max load capacity or whatever? Like hauling something?

Otherwise, go with 75-90% of max load psi?

Beach66Bum

Top Poster Of Month
So if it says 50 psi at max load, then you only pump the tire up that much if you're weighing the max load capacity or whatever? Like hauling something?

Otherwise, go with 75-90% of max load psi?

That's correct Ken, I have been told that by a number of people, tire shop tech's
Parts counter guys at Ford Dealership, local parts stores,

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
amkatt1 said:
That's correct Ken, I have been told that by a number of people, tire shop tech's
Parts counter guys at Ford Dealership, local parts stores,

Very cool, thanks! Confusion over.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I go by the door sticker .

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
DNFXDLI said:
I go by the door sticker .

Confusion not over. Wouldn't door numbers be in the 85-90% range? And only for factory size tires also, right?

Ford Truck Articles