Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Converting a F250 into a 1/2 ton

Just do not have enough 5 lug rims around here,I have a set on the 78 but I have to keep them on so it will roll to the scrap yard and need the 66 done so I can haul it there and then I will have extra rims so I need to come up with four so I can drive the 66 after the 1/2 ton conversion is done. I sold a 77 F150 4 years ago that had the factory aluminum wheels and if I knew I was going to convert the 66 to a 1/2 ton then I would have put steel rims on the 77 since the guy bought it for the motor and trans to use in a mustang.

It seems like someone would have a couple of old wheels laying around
in your area.Some times old junk cars still have the spare wheel.
I have my original wheels an hub caps...:)
The tires are rotted,infact,one popped acouple of weeks ago..Lol..
it scared the hell outta my mother inlaw while she was
sitting outside smokin a cig...:rolling laugh:

I have not hit all the junkyards yet but in the U pull yards a matching set from the same vehicle is had to find since all the good tires go quickly,I do not want any rims from my local old yard since they have been sitting a very long time and sunk in the ground and very rusty. I will be hitting the yards again saturday and it looks like I will have to be getting a 65 or 66 1/2 rear half of the driveshaft,the original is too short and the one from the 67 to 69 rear end donor is too long,I know I can get one shortened but I am trying to keep cost down and can get a correct shaft much less then getting one cut.

Got the axle seals,axles and gears in and now just waiting on the parking brake cables and then I can assemble the brakes,the clamps for the rear sway bar are real close to where the brake hose mounts so i will have to make a spacer for the vent and make a bracket to attach the hose.

Only one brake cable came in so I assembled the right rear brakes,the cables i ordered are about a foot too short but I can make them work so no big deal. At 20 dollars a piece they are probably much cheaper then the correct ones but I am wondering if there is any differences in the lengths of cables and other parts between a 1/2 and 3/4 ton,got a pair of 80s rear swaybar links coming off ebay way cheaper then the parts stores so that will probably be the last thing done and then down for a alignment. I am taking pics and will post after I get a new computer.

Right now I have about 400 dollars in the swap and only need a rear half of the driveshaft so I think I did not do too bad on my 500 dollar guess,this is probably going to snowball into a larger project as I have found out about a 86 351-W HO which might be a next summers project as it might be way more practical then the 460 I have in it now. I am going to do some tuning on the 460 to see if I can get the mileage up from 13 and if I can get it to the 16 to 18 on the highway the 460 will stay but will get the 351 for a future project,the 66 will ened up being a decent weather daily driver that I will take on long trips.

It looks like a factory part,just had to shorten it and run the die down further. I am glad I do not throw much out and the original part wil be kept in case its needed for another project.

I make cables at work for the weight machines in our gym...:)

Local hardware stores usually have the stuff for that.
I get cable & connectors at Home-depo.
Just thought I would throw that out there in case you need another
cable...:)

Just picked up a complete set of steel rims off a 80 in a local junkyard so time to get painting,II was hoping to get a driveshaft from a 65 or 66 long bed but none to be found so I will have the 69 shaft shortened monday.

Put the two best tires on the back and noticed they sit a little further in then the front so I got looking and noticed the rims that came with the 9 inch stick out a little further then the later rims,I am going to clean up two of the later rims and get some good tires on them and then have the tires taken off the 69 rims and get a pair of 31-10.5 for them after they get painted.

Drive shaft is in and the rear brakes adjusted but I need to figure out the rear sway bar,the 76 links were too short and the 80s parts I got will work but have to turn them sideways. I just need to figure out how to attach them to the frame and its done except for tires.

I drove it today and the 2.75 gears did not hurt the performance any,the trans is actually shifting better with those gears then with the previous 3.54s The trans shifted too quickly before and not its not as bad and makes me think the trans is actualy out of a car,it is a Jasper reman trans and wondering if they just put whatever parts back in a case when one is ordered instead of keeping all original parts togather with the original case. The rear is sitting down more then I like and noticed the 69 9 inch seems too narrow and will be looking into a set of rims with more offset to move the tires out a couple inches on each side.

I drove it today and the 2.75 gears did not hurt the performance any,the trans is actually shifting better with those gears then with the previous 3.54s The trans shifted too quickly before and not its not as bad and makes me think the trans is actualy out of a car,it is a Jasper reman trans and wondering if they just put whatever parts back in a case when one is ordered instead of keeping all original parts togather with the original case. The rear is sitting down more then I like and noticed the 69 9 inch seems too narrow and will be looking into a set of rims with more offset to move the tires out a couple inches on each side.

Long time no see,I was wondering how it was going...smilieeatndrink

It sounds like a hot rod...smilieFordlogo

I am now waiting on a pair of new 8 inch rims for the rear,my bronco has 31-10.5s on 8 inch rims and I put one on and it looks great. I unfortunately bought a pair of 30-9.5s on the stock rims and not very happy and stuck with them,I wish I would have thought to putting one of the bronco wheels on first before buying but live and learn. Now that I have bought those two tires and new rims I will have to look at used tires this time.

The 1/2 ton conversion is done but thinking about seeing if I can lower it in the front a little with some 302 springs,its way nicer on the nhighway now and glad I done the conversion and is going to be my good truck.

I do not think the taller gears helped the gas mileage around town but its way more highway friendly now, I am thinking a 351-W will be in the future since I have a smallblock C-6 but I do like the torque of the 460 so I have some tuning to do before I decide on another motor.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts