Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Dual battery set up. What kind of isolator?

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
Hopefully some of you electric genius dudes can help me out here.

This is in my boat.

Currently I run a dual battery set up in my boat. 1 starts the motor the other runs all my stuff. However the 2nd battery I always either charge it at night. (Pain in the BUTT because of its stowage location) or during the day I run my solar panel on it and it charges it up faster than my fish finder can use it...but the downriggers eat it up...

So I want to put in an isolator unit that charges both Batts when the engine is running and isolates them when the engine is off. So far I have found 2 different types.

One system uses large diodes and heat sinks to perform this task. Seems like it's the simplest way to make it work. However I would have to believe that if it's using a giant heat sink, it's creating heat, which is taking away from my battery charging...not good since I don't use the "big motor" that much in the boat.

The other system I've been looking into uses a relay system which I'm assuming is basically 2 celenoids wrapped into 1 package. With ignition power it flips on and charges both batts. Seems like a good system since less draw on the amps.

Does anybody know which is better?

Here's one I'm thinking about
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00316KFV4/ref=ox_sc_act_image_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Here's the other
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000...dpPl=1&dpID=51+Hy6qdExL&ref=plSrch&th=1&psc=1

I'm unsure how the bkue sea system works. I want one that's automatic and I'm not sure if that is or isnt.

Anyone have a recommendation or suggestions?

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
Thanks Randy.

Ordered...

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
I would rep you, but can't on my phone...it wigs out.

So +20 invisible rep points bro.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
That's pretty cool.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
Installed and works like a champ. Haven't tested with the motor running yet, but through my battery charger on my starting battery since it was a little low. I had fish finder monitoring my battery voltage on the accessory battery. After about 20-30 seconds it kicked over and i went from 11.9 to 13.7. both batteries are now charged. :)

Ford Truck Articles