Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

egr delete, changed my truck

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
So I finally got around to the egr delete on my truck, now ice had the egr disabled for a looong time so I didn't think it was gonna change much but it did.

The exhaust no longer sounds like a jet, now it sounds like there's no whistle at all. Just a rumble idle. It still runs like a raped ape and pulls like a freight train. Just wondering if anyone noticed this. Truck had a 4 inch straight pipe on it.

Next thing I noticed was a drop in fuel economy. I used to drive 75 and pull 17 mpg. Now I get 15. This is after a month of running the numbers.

I also noticed I'm "in the boost" deeper than before. It seems like I used to run about 16 psi cruising the freeway. Now I seem around 20 psi.

Anyone have any ideas why it changed so much. My egr valve was stuck slightly open but I wouldn't think that had much to do with it. Did the up pipe change all that?

Thoughts please

blacksnapon

Staff member
Now this is entirely un-scientific, but I've noticed a lot of them with deletes that later have head gasket issues. I'm thinking that Navistar used the cooler and EGR as a "wastegate" or pressure bleed off. Turbo boost is also determined by exhaust pressure. The ebp sensor is still there on the early 6.0, supposedly inferred information, but I can still read it. Does that count in calculations? I don't know. BARO/MAP/MAF/IAT are all used now. Increased boost will show on those readings. Originally, the EGR would be used to "regulate" these pressures. All engines have a "line". Cross that line and things start breaking. I think the 6.0 is on the line from the factory due to the bump up in power from the VT365 it originally had. Stuck turbo vanes creating big boost come to mind. Customer comes in saying "my truck runs better than it ever has" might actually be a problem. And we both know what excessive boost does to headgaskets.

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
I know, it makes no sense what so ever. However I have noticed that my under 67 mph mileage is awesome. I thin my truck is special.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
Now this is entirely un-scientific, but I've noticed a lot of them with deletes that later have head gasket issues. I'm thinking that Navistar used the cooler and EGR as a "wastegate" or pressure bleed off. Turbo boost is also determined by exhaust pressure. The ebp sensor is still there on the early 6.0, supposedly inferred information, but I can still read it. Does that count in calculations? I don't know. BARO/MAP/MAF/IAT are all used now. Increased boost will show on those readings. Originally, the EGR would be used to "regulate" these pressures. All engines have a "line". Cross that line and things start breaking. I think the 6.0 is on the line from the factory due to the bump up in power from the VT365 it originally had. Stuck turbo vanes creating big boost come to mind. Customer comes in saying "my truck runs better than it ever has" might actually be a problem. And we both know what excessive boost does to headgaskets.

they did. least that was according to the Powerstroke Performance guys i got to talk to in MA while i was up there.. right after you let off from WOT the computer tells the EGR to pop the valve allowing the "harmful" pressure spikes from spiking and popping head gaskets among other things.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
My truck will do 75 with 16-17 (USA) mpg with the delete and the H&S XRT tow tune loaded.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
i miss the 22mpg i was getting... lately its been 16.5-16.9 average

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
This might be crazy but is it worth throwing an aftermarket egr cooler back in?

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
if you get the head studs done you really wont have to worry about it.. the stock studs are good for what they were designed for... Stock... once you start changing things youll want to upgrade to stronger studs.. theyre less prone to stretch because theyre made from stronger alloys... if you can get the heads planed itll make it even happier and take a little more stress off the studs...

Ford Truck Articles