Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Ford Explorer Sport Trac 2005 needs repairs

I have just purchased a 2005 Explorer Sport Trac for my son. The truck needs a couple of things to get it into good working conditon.

1) He needs to replace the tailgate. Where is the best place to look for one? How much can we expect to pay?

2) He also needs to have the transmission flushed and he has estimates from $200 - $450...anyone know the average cost? Thanks for your help.

R

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
I have just purchased a 2005 Explorer Sport Trac for my son. The truck needs a couple of things to get it into good working conditon.

1) He needs to replace the tailgate. Where is the best place to look for one? How much can we expect to pay?

2) He also needs to have the transmission flushed and he has estimates from $200 - $450...anyone know the average cost? Thanks for your help.

R

do not flush the transmission.. just have a typical fluid change and filter change..

tailgate... look at junkyards etc. not sure on how much.. if its a Pull it yourself then less than 100... but if you go somewhere that pulls it for ya.. probably 300..

Thanks for your quick reply.
The truck has 80,000 miles on it. what is the difference in a flush and just changing the fluid?
I have tried pick n pulls in the san antonio area and have not been able to locate a tail gate. I have read that Ford used a F150 tailgate on the 2005 sport trac. Does anyone know if this is true? If I were to find an F150 tailgate if that would be a true fit?

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
Thanks for your quick reply.
The truck has 80,000 miles on it. what is the difference in a flush and just changing the fluid?
I have tried pick n pulls in the san antonio area and have not been able to locate a tail gate. I have read that Ford used a F150 tailgate on the 2005 sport trac. Does anyone know if this is true? If I were to find an F150 tailgate if that would be a true fit?

a flush uses chemicals to completely clean the insides of the trans.. but sometimes that can knock stuff loose thats actually helping the trans. a change is just that changing the fluid..

Ford Truck Articles