Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

fuel de-pressure

this is probably a polarbear ?? i need to follow the fuel filter advice but i worry about line pessure. is there a de-pressure for the astro Vortex??

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
What I did on my Ranger should work universally...pull the fuel pump relay, then crank the engine for 15-20 seconds.

Don't know that for a fact, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

but won't there be pressure behind the filter JD? i'm not worried about the front side, i hate having gas or fumes get to me. there is no relay on this rig. my 150 yep, the astro.....

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Shouldn't be pressure. On mine, there was some fuel, but I don't think that can be avoided.

I dunno nothin' about Chevies, though, so I can't tell you for sure.

gotcha.. i misread your post. just didn't see the "relay" part.....i'd think you on to it. thanks i'll give it a shot.
if no one hears from me i'm BLOWED UP

i crossed up relay for inertia switch as i read this last. i don't think i was hammered but it's possible.
i have to get an OBD2 code reader. i now have "chk engine soon" flashing. never had an issue w/this for 2 yrs. i finish the work on the 150.........and the astro starts acting up. i think my wife is cursing me for being a dink all the time we were together!!!!!
oh and of course the filter is original and the fittings look like the hull of the Titanic. they don't make enough liquid wrench for that rust.
i know.....i'll use the MAPP torch.
thanks john & brian

Bob Ayers

North Carolina Chapter member
Durham, NC
I agree! I would think that there is a schrader valve on the fuel rail, like a Ford. If you wrap a rag around it, and open it, that will release the fuel pressure also.

^^^ it takes 7 engineers to get the dog coupe out of this thing. i've got all the tools, just to crippled to contort into the positions required to get to all the fasteners.
there is a valve but ....
i'll post a pic after i find where i set my camera down, of what it's like to work from the front. it'll scare the hell out of you.

don't use the torch until the gasoline is cleaned up...Ryan
i can't get it apart..there is no gas splashed. there may be some in the line but when i get BLOWED UP, as the fuel filter explodes the last thing i'll say is......R it's your fault dammit.
i pray you know i'm not totally retarded. dumb, yeah, but i know not to use MAPP on a fuel line. i bought a Propane tank. burns much cooler.YelloThumbUp

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
You crack me up, Carl. :rofl:

Have fun with that filter; hopefully it don't turn out like brake lines where you bust one, then trying to get it out you bust the next, all the way back to where the whole mess starts.

john...... that's exactly what will happen. i've no doubt. nor do i expect it to be any more than me still under that thing in Feb. a filter will be lines, then the purge box, then the rail w/injectors, then i'll be wishing i'd set fire and collected. a few 3rd * burns would up the settlement i'd think. but the truck rides sooooo very well. the a/c is ice cold and Sassy loves to sit in mommies truck.

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
john...... that's exactly what will happen. i've no doubt. nor do i expect it to be any more than me still under that thing in Feb. a filter will be lines, then the purge box, then the rail w/injectors,
Just replumb it in 1/2" copper. A few street 90's and a few feet of straight and you'll be good to go!

^^ and i want to do this why???
i was trying to shame you all into doing it for me. i knew better.

So did this ever get done, carl?

If you're that nervous about getting gas on you, dig out that old bicycle pump out of the scrap heap and cut the hose off. Tighten the air chuck on the schrader valve while the other end is in a receptacle.
Or on the ground. remember that whatever you introduce into the groundwater supply will eventually reach Mount Clinton.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts