Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Fuel FIlter Change Interval????

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Question on fuel filters...

I only use Racor made fuel filters and or have had the dealer do them... so the quality of my filters is not an issue.

From day one, I have always changed my fuel filters (2 of them) every 15,000 miles or sooner as per my manual as written in 2003. I have never had a WIF light come on and I have never had to drain the HFCM except when changing the filters.

My question is.... my dealer tech stated that the new interval is 10,000 miles. Is this something for the 6.4L motor or all 6.0L motors... otr certain years... or when making the change over to ULSD fuel? He commented on some of the fuel tank issues of delaminating on some of the pick-ups, but nothing on my Excursion or the 2003 model year??

Curious... what is the fuel filter interval for the 6.0L and does it matter on year, make, type/sixe of fuel tank or is he mixing 6.0L info with 6.4L info?

Obviously to change them sooner rather than later is always better, but it is time and money and just curious if there is an advisory out on this issue???

Thanks,

Bob Ayers

North Carolina Chapter member
Durham, NC
Jeff, It's very difficult to determine when to change fuel filters on any vehicle, gas, or diesel. One tank of contaminated fuel can block a new filter, and if you only use fresh clean fuel, you could probably run 50K miles without a problem. I think it would be good to have differential pressure sensors, placed before and after the filters so the dirt blocking the filter could be monitored.

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
I think it would be good to have differential pressure sensors, placed before and after the filters so the dirt blocking the filter could be monitored.
I have just one fuel pressure gauge located after the FASS filter. When I lose 3-4 lbs of pressure, I change the filters.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Jeff, It's very difficult to determine when to change fuel filters on any vehicle, gas, or diesel. One tank of contaminated fuel can block a new filter, and if you only use fresh clean fuel, you could probably run 50K miles without a problem. I think it would be good to have differential pressure sensors, placed before and after the filters so the dirt blocking the filter could be monitored.

Yes Bob... but I am questioning if there has been a "recommended" change interval either by year, make or model?

My dealer tech stated that the new interval was now 10,000 miles (every other oil change)... so I am just asking where he read or was told this... or is it just his opinion?

Wanted to see if Blacksnapon or Bowtiehater knew or couild check... or if anyone else had been told?

Thanks,

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
My dealer tech stated that the new interval was now 10,000 miles (every other oil change)... so I am just asking where he read or was told this... or is it just his opinion?
From BowTies response, it sounds like another well edamucated tech story.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Changed my fuel filters this afternoon and did it in 1 hour or so.

Have been suing ULSD fuel exclusively for the past 3 - 4 months and both filters had nothing in them and actually no sediment. I changed them out due to the weather being 78F here today and had 11,400 miles on the filters. Since I buy my Racor made fuel filters from my local IH dealer ($33.00), I tend to change them earlier than the 15,000 mile interval that is in the manual.

Was not sure if the ULSD would have any affect on my filters or loosen up anything (like biodiesel does)... but upon looking at them... nothing.

I have +91,000 miles and have never had the WIF light come on and have only ever drained the HFCM when I change filters.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts