Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

fun in the sun

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I've been getting increasingly serious about picking up a convertible over the last several years, and although I wasn't exactly planning on it, things aligned such that I brought home a 1991 Mazda Miata earlier this week.

Clean, looks like it was pretty well taken care of and used sparingly for most of it's life. Needs a few things cleaned and tweaked, but it appears to be a nice car.

Price seemed good, since the hardtop adds value (and is easy to sell, which I might do)....I think I can play with it for a bit and if I don't like it probably get out of it without losing too much...so far, though, I kinda like it.

Attachments

• miata - 1.jpg
  • Miata.jpg
  • miata - 6.jpg

heavydoc

Instigator
Staff member
WNC
Cool, they are like street legal dune buggies/ sand rails. My friend has one, his is red.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
That might also be from the Ford/Mazda era? Looks nice.

If memory serves, it dates to the beginnings of that, when Ford owned a stake in Mazda but not the majority share they eventually came to own (and subsequently sell).

Fellro

Staff member
It is from that time frame, but is all Mazda. If you need the oil filter cup, let me know. Still have one from my dealer days, hasn't been used since. You have to use a long extension through the passenger front tire well. Special cup.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
It is from that time frame, but is all Mazda. If you need the oil filter cup, let me know. Still have one from my dealer days, hasn't been used since. You have to use a long extension through the passenger front tire well. Special cup.

Wow! The oil filters can be found in some interesting places among cars/trucks.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Very cool.....I bought a convertible also, but not because its a convertible, I prefer a full coupe, just ended that way. I actually JUST spent bug bucks on a 68 vinyl (super psyched just like on my 77 dent) hard top. New England has very few "no top" days....had a jeep many years ago and it was more of a pain than anything I got to enjoy out of it.

I know a friend who has had one for many years and absolutely loves his Miata!

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Oops....phone issues

Last edited:

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont

Haven't even looked for that yet...may have to take you up on that offer. I put it up on ramps and went all over it looking for rust before I bought it, and remember seeing the filter...but not where it was.

New England has very few "no top" days....had a jeep many years ago and it was more of a pain than anything I got to enjoy out of it.

The Tacoma was nearly a 2020 Wrangler...but their tops are a lot more complicated (read: slow) to put up if you get caught in a shower.

But I've also got a lot of motorcycle miles in New England under me...I used to keep track, and although it took me a few years, I've made it through each month May-October, inclusive, where I took the bike to work each work day of the month...I plan to put a lot of top-down miles on it...not so much in the rain (to save the car, not my hide) but it's got heat and I've got a coat...so as long as it's dry, or at least not actively raining, I should be good during the non-salty months of the year.

Attachments

• miata - 1 (1).jpg

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Today's high temp of 15*F notwithstanding...spring's coming.

Ordered a modest heap of new parts for this thing today...nothing hugely fun, unfortunately, just maintenance type stuff. New radiator and full set of coolant hoses as preventative maintenance; new shocks (with upper mounts and bump stops) as I believe it's still sitting on the factory set. I bought it for cruising around, not to take to the track...so not going crazy with suspension stuff- just decent stock-style stuff.

Give me something to do in the garage when it gets a little warmer out there, waiting for the dirt roads to dry out and the salt to get washed off the highways.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Hope the weather cooperates. We finally made it up to the 60's today. I've been seeing some nation's low temps in New Hampshire area.

Ford Truck Articles