Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Gauge install info

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
I installed my gauges last weekend. I will admit that I got them already prefitted, but hey, I'll take what I can get.

1. The tranny temp sensor is pretty straight up, and easy. 3-4 wraps with teflon tape and hand tight, after all it is a brass sensor in an aluminum housing. Make sure to have a catch pan as a little fluid does come out.

2. The thermocouple in the exhaust was alot easier than some people have made it out to be in the past. I did not remove it from the engine. It is not a typical cast iron, it is more of a cast steel or nodular iron, as when drilled it makes shavings really similar to steel, not the chip dust like conventional cast iron. I drilled a pilot hole half th esize of a letter R (.339") til I was just about through, then cranked the truck up and finished drilling to size. I tapped it with the engine shut off, sprayed some brake clean to rinse the oil out, magged it one time and fired it up again to blow the remnants out. I will say this, it is imperative for accuracy of the pyro temp that the thermocouple be located in the middle of the manifold centered up on the #8 runner. It responds to temp change almost instantaniously which is what one is after by installing one anyway.

3. The boost line should be tapped into the intake elbow. The o-ring is reusable and it takes less than 10 minutes with the simplest of hand tools to remove. It needs to be located in the very end of the straight part of the elbow and the fitting needs to be mounted flush with the ID of the elbow for the best accuracy.

After all the sensors are installed then run your wiring and use plenty of zip ties. If I get a chance next week, I will take pics and post them.

Kep4

Jäger
Great post Ryan.

Which wire did you use to power the EGT and trans temp? Which wire for the gauge lighting?

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
Glad you asked, as I forgot to post it. The very top wire on the dimmer switch (blue with purple tracer) for the gauge lights. The other 2 I cheated on. I already had the 12v switched for my high idle mod, and tapped it, (it is an upfitter wire so nothing else is on this circuit) as for the ground, tapped the one from the high idle switch as well.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts