Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Good evening Guys, Newbie here....

Hi there, I just bought my first 53 f100 this week and am looking for some help in putting her together....
The body is done and waiting for a motor, I am thinking a 302 for a mustang or a t-bird, or LTD..
And the 5 speed tranny from mustang..

What do you guy think?

Also would like to lower her all around? What are my best routes?

Thanks
Dan

Attachments

• 2012-07-309516.38.23.jpg
  • 2012-07-309516.38.06.jpg
  • 2012-07-309516.38.36.jpg

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
dbranco said:
Hi there, I just bought my first 53 f100 this week and am looking for some help in putting her together....
The body is done and waiting for a motor, I am thinking a 302 for a mustang or a t-bird, or LTD..
And the 5 speed tranny from mustang..

What do you guy think?

Also would like to lower her all around? What are my best routes?

Thanks
Dan

Beautiful truck! Welcome!

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Welcome to FTF..nice truck!

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
Hi Dan,
Very nice looking truck you have there. That engine/trans combo should work out fine - with a couple of cautions.

If you're using bucket seats - no problem. The mustang shifter is located clear at the back of the trans output shaft - which locates it under your bench, or real close to it.

One solution is to find an S10 shifter/tailshaft housing and use that behind the mustang T5. That places the shifter forward, close to the stock location.

Welcome!

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
I am seriously in love with that truck!

Oh... Welcome to FTF!
seeyamustang.gif

I was also thinking about painting the grille black, or getting it chromed?
I was planning on lowering it and put some nice chrome wheels on her for now.
She is all stock, matching numbers truck with 83k......
The flat head is not running and I am worried it will cost me a fortune to do so.
Thats why I was thinking 302 with mustang tranny.
Any other thoughts on the motor combo?
That should be a fairly easy install? The issue is that I Will have to buy a junked mustang or t-bird to get the Computer.

Dan

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
I was also thinking about painting the grille black, or getting it chromed?
I was planning on lowering it and put some nice chrome wheels on her for now.
She is all stock, matching numbers truck with 83k......
The flat head is not running and I am worried it will cost me a fortune to do so.
Thats why I was thinking 302 with mustang tranny.
Any other thoughts on the motor combo?
That should be a fairly easy install? The issue is that I Will have to buy a junked mustang or t-bird to get the Computer.

Dan

YES on the chrome grill.....not sure about the black.

YES on the chrome wheels...I'm a wheel guy, so chrome is a must on this baby IMO.

Not sure about the motor and tranny stuff,,,,,,hopefully some of the other fellas on here can interject.

smilieFordlogo

I wanted to buy some wheels but need to figuire out what I am going to do with the front end first. One thought is to buy a mustang II front end for 2500.00
Which is out of my total budget or buy a drop axle for the front for 500.00
The 500.00 option I like, but what are the pros and cons?

Pros: Much nicer drive
Cons: Price??

Got another question was sitting here and wondering if it was better to rebuild the flat head??

What are everyone's thoughts on that?

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
Got another question was sitting here and wondering if it was better to rebuild the flat head??

What are everyone's thoughts on that?

That depends on who you talk to.... drop down one forum and ask around in the 48-52 forum where flatheads are the norm.

Truth is, a stock flathead rebuild is about the same expense as any other engine rebuild. Parts are readily available and machining is same as for other engines - just make sure you use a machinist that knows flatheads. You'll hear horror stories about expensive flatheads - that's cause there are tons of aftermarket parts (toys) to dress up, hop up and squeeze the last bit of performance out of them - these extras cost big $$$.

Before you decide one way or the other, talk to these guys... the best flathead forum on the net. They live and breathe flatheads.
http://flatheadv8.org/phpBB/index.php?sid=33ff6f7d1b4494f20b0fc2b79538b8f7

Called around this week for a rebuild price....
WOW they wanted 7500 for a stock and 9000 for a mild build..
Stock build I would get 100HP
mild build I would get 140HP

That is freakin crazy, back to my orginal idea of a 302 and a t5
or a 350 with a t350 tranny.....

I also have a 62 caddy with a 390 orginal matching numbers and they want 3-5 to build that motor also...
I can swallow 3k for a rebuild not 7500.00

You don't need a computer to run a 302 Ford and 5sp. 302s have been around since 1969. I bought a 5.0 from a '95 Mustang, removed the intake and distributor, added a dual plane intake then a 600cfm carb and earlier dist. and drop it in. No computer necessary. My '53 ran fine with that combo.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts