Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

how to clean dirty seat belts?

Is there a way to clean dirty seat belts?

I am getting some out of a 90 F-250. They work fine, but it is a work truck so they are kind of dirty.

Any good easy ways to clean them up?

Thanks in advance,

Brian

Extend the belts fully
Waterless hand cleaner and a stiiff brush on greasy spots
spray n wash the rest of the belt
Tide w bleach
Put old socks over any mechanisms and secure with zip ties.
Throw em in the washing machine with a bunch of OLD towels/rags, as as the rags/towels will "scrub" the belts as the machine agitates.
Dry the towels, but let the belts hang to dry somewhere.
treat mechanisms with silicone spray.

Extend the belts fully
Waterless hand cleaner and a stiiff brush on greasy spots
spray n wash the rest of the belt
Tide w bleach
Put old socks over any mechanisms and secure with zip ties.
Throw em in the washing machine with a bunch of OLD towels/rags, as as the rags/towels will "scrub" the belts as the machine agitates.
Dry the towels, but let the belts hang to dry somewhere.
treat mechanisms with silicone spray.

You mean I have to use my own socks? All of them are old. :redface:

Thanks for the ideas guys. I will let you know what happens when I actually get them here. Somone on another site is sending them to me next week. YelloThumbUp

Last edited:
There is another way. Take them to the local Car wash, hang them from the clips you would normally hang your floor mats and pressure wash the heck outta them.

She Devil

Trucks are for GIRLS!
A house...
I am glad someone asked this because it's something I need to do. I just got my rear end chewed this morning because the other half just ruined a brand new shirt. Mine are caused by work. :(

Dumb question time, but how do I get the belts out of the truck?? :redface:

The bolts are under the seat, behind it. It takes a torx drive but I forget the size (I have a set). The threaded mounting flanges are welded in, so there's no need to worry about getting under the truck. It's an in-cab job.

She Devil

Trucks are for GIRLS!
A house...
I am sure we have some around here but if not I can just scrub them in the truck. I guess I am just going to have to start taking a change of clothes to work everyday. Just what I want, to spend 10 more min. in that building every morning. Hah!

My wife, crafty person that she is, applied a satin liner to her seat belt with tacky glue, cuz she said the nylon belts pilled her shirts.

She Devil

Trucks are for GIRLS!
A house...
Has it worked well for her? I think (as much as I don't like them) once I clean mine I am going to put those fuzzy cover type things on them... only not fuzzy.

It has worked great, and doen't interfere with the rewinder.
Also, if you have a decent shop vac, when you scrub them, extract em with the vaccuum afterwards.

It has worked great, and doen't interfere with the rewinder.
Also,

She Devil

Trucks are for GIRLS!
A house...
Thanks for the extra tip. I do have an awesome shop vac.

I think I'll clean them tomorrow or something. I am wiped out from all the house stuff and I still have a ton more I want to do.

I have the seat belts sitting in the living room. They are not that bad as far as dirt. It will be a while before I try to install them though. I am not taking the headliner (cab liner) out until I get ready to epoxy prime everything. When it is out, I can weld seat belts mounts in for the shoulder straps.

I am too broke to buy the supplies for sanding at the moment, so it wil be a while. LOL

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts