Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

How to: Ultimate Clean Glass

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
There's absolutely nothing worse than rolling down the highway towards the sunset and seeing nothing but trash, dirt, and defects in your windshield. You can scrub all day with Windex and not even get the top layer off. But how I clear up my glass, you ask...

The answer lies with a couple of secrets of the detailing trade. A few actually, but who's counting.

** Please note that these steps apply to exterior glass only! Do not try these techniques on the inside!! **

Step one: Clean your glass using an ammonia-based window cleaner; it has the best initial 'cut'.

Step two: break out a fresh piece of XXXX steel wool (the absolute finest steel wool, no other will do). I like to mist a little water onto the window, but this will eventually rust the steel so you should throw it out when you're done. After misting, scrub the glass with the steel wool. You'll want to do quite a few passes.

Here's a hint - use a stripe of tape to compare your results, pull your rig into the sun to help.

Step three: Clean again with the ammonia-based cleaner.

Step four: This step is an add-on, and I advise it to keep defects from forming as fast. Apply a spray wax or RainX. When using either, apply two-three coats ensuring optimal coverage.

Step five: Get in your truck the next day and realize a bird just crapped all over your hard work. smilieFordlogo

Before:

IMAG0444.jpg

IMAG0447.jpg

After: (Don't mind the streaks :D)

IMAG0443.jpg

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
I'm getting there... Heck, I forgot I still had the dang thing!

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
I'd be afraid the steel wool would scratch the window.....but will try it on my POS cheby plow truck. Maybe my other POS dodge plow truck also.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
^^^I was wondering the same thing...those fine scratches can't be good. I'd almost think a buff pad step should be in there somewhere...but your work speaks for itself, so I'll take your word for it.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Keep in mind you're not trying to skin the lamination off. We use the wool in the tint shop to prepare the job. If you're leery, try a scotch brite pad.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Copper pads are great, too. Definitely won't scratch the glass.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Austin...you know by now that finesse is not in my repertoire of abilities.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Irony being...when I busted my wiper arm, and my blower motor went on the fritz, I used a driveway edging tool to scrape the ice off the Broncos windshield. The glass has some cracks and is yellowing, so no big loss...but the edger scratched the hell outta the windshield.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Oh Ben. That's why people like you hire people like me! smilietease

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Irony being...when I busted my wiper arm, and my blower motor went on the fritz, I used a driveway edging tool to scrape the ice off the Broncos windshield. The glass has some cracks and is yellowing, so no big loss...but the edger scratched the hell outta the windshield.

Ben, I thought you had drivers for stuff like that.....have them do it for you! smilietease

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
There's absolutely nothing worse than rolling down the highway towards the sunset and seeing nothing but trash, dirt, and defects in your windshield. You can scrub all day with Windex and not even get the top layer off. But how I clear up my glass, you ask...

The answer lies with a couple of secrets of the detailing trade. A few actually, but who's counting.

** Please note that these steps apply to exterior glass only! Do not try these techniques on the inside!! **

Step one: Clean your glass using an ammonia-based window cleaner; it has the best initial 'cut'.

Step two: break out a fresh piece of XXXX steel wool (the absolute finest steel wool, no other will do). I like to mist a little water onto the window, but this will eventually rust the steel so you should throw it out when you're done. After misting, scrub the glass with the steel wool. You'll want to do quite a few passes.

Here's a hint - use a stripe of tape to compare your results, pull your rig into the sun to help.

Step three: Clean again with the ammonia-based cleaner.

Step four: This step is an add-on, and I advise it to keep defects from forming as fast. Apply a spray wax or RainX. When using either, apply two-three coats ensuring optimal coverage.

Step five: Get in your truck the next day and realize a bird just crapped all over your hard work. smilieFordlogo

Once again, good writeup. Thank You. I'll have to try it on my windshield, since it is due to be replaced. You mentioned scotchbrite pads - brown or green?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Ben, I thought you had drivers for stuff like that.....have them do it for you! smilietease

They don't like it when I shift the t-case from the back seat.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts