Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

I think the engine is gone

rambler

New Shoes......
well, its been awhile since i've posted, I havent driven my 2000 F250 for a bit, saving up for a new flexplate install, and finally got one scheduled. Well finally got it started, ( bad starter as well as bad teeth on flexplate) and started the drive to the garage. I knew this was too much for me. heading on the interstate, it starts to act up, thinking well, its been about 2 months of sitting. I had checked the oil before i left. well, then noticed the oil gauge moving up and down and light go on. It goes off again, so ok, I keep going, then notice it on again, so I look for a place to pull over, I'm a mile from the off ramp, so head that way,, once I get pulled over it starts making racket and shuts off, so I coast off to park it, ( where of course but at my works) funny how that happens. and cannot start it again, due to starter, it was smoking some, but was not overheated and I pulled the oil dipstick, and it had oil in it, full amount, but smoke also coming from the tube. I had AAA tow it to the garage, so we will see, its a 5.4 with 317K miles.. so I dont know what to do now.. I had budgeted $800 for the flexplate and starter rebulid.. just put on new tires.. now this..

rambler

New Shoes......
yeah, motor is gone, got a couple of quotes, one is a Jasper Engine for @3800 plus labor and fluids etc.. or a LKQ engine for 3300 plus labor and fluids... I think we are looking at about about 950 labor and @ 400 for fluids/water pump, other incidentials.. so either 5300 for a Jasper or 4800 for LKQ plus tax.. I could also go with a used engine, but costs would be @ a grand less, as I would want the timing chain replaced and other work done.. if we can even find a used engine for that year.. and only a 30 day warranty, where both the other come with a 3 year 100k on Jasper or 3 year unlimited on the lKQ.. Jasper is higher but seems to have better reviews.. not sure what to do yet

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
know the feeling... i gotta do the headgaskets again on my 6.0

I just replace my 5.4 with a used one that has 93k miles on it. It cost a little less than a new one. My new(used) motor sucks I should have bought a new one. I would have been much happier. Good luck with your choice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ford Truck Articles