Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Modifications

blacksnapon

Staff member
I'll start this thing.........Who out there still believes that engine modifications should be made with a wrench?

Fellro

Staff member
It all depends what level mods you want to make, factory parts only go so far... For moderate gains, plug and play, but I still like to tinker. It is handy to detune before we come see you though Vince... (looking all innocent) (We need that innocent whistling smiley...)

Gunner

Charter Member
Billings

Bob Ayers

North Carolina Chapter member
Durham, NC
I'm totally against the more popular "performance mods" like intakes, K&N air filters, underdrive pulleys, and e-fans! I hate to see youngsters throwing their money away on stuff like this!! With the CAFE standards today, ALL vehicle manufacturers design their vehicles to be as efficient as possible.
To think a vehicle manufacturer would design an intake, or air filter to be restrictive is totally ludicrous! The only way you are going to get SUBSTANTIAL performance gains is to 1) increase engine displacement or 2) go to forced induction. But then, there are things to consider for reliability reasons: 1) additional stress on drivetrain components 2) additional cooling & lubrication 3) better handling characteristics. In most cases, it's more economical, safer, and reliable to buy a vehicle that has already been designed and built to go fast!!

Recently, one of our members had a misfortune, from trying to push a 6.0L diesel beyond what it's designed to do!

Last edited:

blacksnapon

Staff member
It all depends what level mods you want to make, factory parts only go so far... For moderate gains, plug and play, but I still like to tinker. It is handy to detune before we come see you though Vince... (looking all innocent) (We need that innocent whistling smiley...)
I've already alerted the Ford Gestapo and told them theres a rowdy bunch coming!

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
Anything that can be done by myself w/a wrench will be done, I hate giving money to people when I can do it.

I'd have to say both on the above question, I'm going EFI 514 with my '70 so if I can plug power into it I'll do it so long as its cost effective but I'm also going to be building the rotating mass for big power, i.e probably at least one turbo. Anything I can do to free up ponies is something I'll consider because after its all said and done the little stuff might give a big reward.

Ford Truck Articles