Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

painting a Y-block?

This is a new one one me. Has anyone ever painted an engine?

The 56 Y-block is supposed to be a yellow color. Bill: Was it a specific yellow? It looks pretty bright in the illustrations, but...those are print.

The guys at SPI recommend a serious cleaning (and serious rust removal) then spray with the epoxy primer.

They then top coat with single stage. They have been doing this with no issues.

However, I was told that the yellow paint on engines would discolor after a while. Has anyone seen this or is there some special paint I should use?

My engine is bare (rust). The bottom of it has eastwoods rust encapsulator. It was brushed/sprayed/rolled (whatever) by the PO when he did the frame.

I am just gathering information for one of these years when I get that far. :D

Fellro

Staff member
Cats use yellow for their engine color as well, never noticed much discoloration except at heat points, where any color will get discolored. High temp paint does better, regular car paint doesn't handle the heat as well. A lot of construction equipment also uses yellow paint on the engines as well.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Look in Hemmings Motor News for vendors who sell original engine paint colors. if you're gonna paint it, it might as well be the correct yellow. I forget what color the valve covers are, but they are a different color.

For those that don't know, from 1952 thru 1967, the valve cover colors were used to ID what engine the vehicle had.

There was NO Ford Blue used on any Ford Motor Company engine prior to 1968! I see these nice pre 1968 vehicles at car shows..with the engines painted Ford Blue...makes me wanna puke. That is NOT original.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts