Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Premium sound radio?

tylstruck

Canadian diisabled Yuppie
Is there a big difference in premium sound radios than normal radios? Meaning those Dolby '90s radio with amplifier compare to the same looking Dolby unit without the amplifier?

Tyl

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Yes there is . I have 2 CD radios i no external amp 1 with . The with really is a better unit. I even used it in some competitions . If you find one from any Ford product should work fine (Some years lighing issues) Need mount amp piggy harness and the head unit . They plug right in . If have 92 96 F150-350 a good place is right on top of air duct to right of speedo. (I didnt have right mount and put it there in several rides. If amp fails just unplug piggy back harness radio should stiill work .

tylstruck

Canadian diisabled Yuppie
I bought a premium sound unit off ebay from a '97 Ford Mustang. No wiring came with it ofcourse. I sure had a heck of a time finding the right wiring harness. I never did find it. Motorcraft via the Ford dealershiip reproduced them for $60 just for that one plug in. I'd have to buy the other eight prongue? plug in plus there was another 2 prongue? square which no one could tell where I can find it, or if even I needed it.

I decided to resell it via ebay, instead of spending soo much on wiring that may or may not work. I remember that radio was produced in Brazil, usually Dolby radios are produced iin Mexico.

I recently went to the junkyard in search of a radio. Difficult to tell if the radio is premium or not just by looking at the front. I pullled a radio from a '94 Mercury Mystique. Wasn't a premium, but would be better than what I have now.

Tyl

msb71

Virginia Chapter Leader
Hampton,VA
If you don't care about the stock , then I would just get a nice head unit and a small amp from somewhere , they are pretty cheap nowadays.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts