Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

replace split rims? or keep them

.well i bought a truck.....f600 dump truck that is....now i am in the process of getting it ready for inspection...biggest obstical.....rear tires with split rims......finding someone to mount them......thinking about changing over to non split rims .....if possible.....

Fellro

Staff member
That is the hard part, it can be a problem to find rims that will bolts, and then the expense. It depends what shops you talk to as well, there are still some that do them, but most do not any more. Even some that do ag tires won't touch them any more. I know of a couple shops around here that do them, but that is it. The whole thin about it is you have to know what you are doing, and be very certain about that. The newer people coming into the tire business don't know them that well, and since it is getting to be a small part of the market, simply won't do them.

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
Hmm... Good question.

IDK where you live, but there's probably an old timer around that'll do the split rims.

You can do them yourself too... It's not all that hard. If you could find a shop that would at least break the bead for you, you could do the rest yourself...

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
I know most tire shops around here won't touch widow makers.

Since when did they make it illegal to run split rims? Bought an old 78 F250 with splits back in '97 and I had it inspected and everything...even found some goodyear wranglers for it at some mexican shop, paid em an extra $20 and they put em on for me

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
When I was working at Penske, we were not allowed to touch slip rims and I remember being told that it was illegal to run splits on class 4 trucks.

well I found a shop in Batavia ny ....sloats tire shop.....the guy told me his fathers father taught him...and his father taught him...and so on....25 dollars
a wheel......plus 25 for new tubes...........
took the truck to a garage to have the tires looked at..before I get it inspected.......guy told me needed new tires...no surprise......then when I went to start the old beast ...it wont start......guy told me should have told me to keep going......was pretty embarrassing......he was quite rude......
but did get me going....
by the way have a starter issue also.....starter disengages after about
5 to 10 seconds.....are these hard to rebuild.....did some about 30 yr. ago
don't remember much.....thanks

Fellro

Staff member
You've never said what motor you have, or year. The starter may not be that expensive to just trade in. But it does sound like maybe the bendix has failed, which isn't an overly big deal to change.

FTF'er

f600 dump truck = dual rear wheels?

Remove cores from valve stems letting all the air out. Remove wheels and tires from truck. Take wheel apart and replace tube and tire. Put wheel back together with new tire and tube installed. Put in a few pounds of air. Put wheels back on truck. Air up to normal inflation pressure.

Most split rims when used in a dual wheel application will have the rings on the inside, where the two tires are close together. In the unlikely event that a ring would come loose, it can't go anywhere because it's in between the two tires/wheels. I change 10.00-20 tires for rail containers on split rims every so often, but never air them up unless they're on a trailer.

Just a FYI, there are tubes for bias tires and tubes for radial tires, so be sure to get the right ones.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts