Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Rotating assemblies...

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Simple question...when it comes to 460 rotating assemblies, ie could I swap in a 70 assembly in to my 96??? Or are there different provisions among the assemblies. I'd think pistons could be a glaring difference. I'd think everything else dimensionally would be the same...other than possible oiling provisions. I'm not versed well enough in the 460, so any help is appreciated.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Well 70 was just an example...what about an assembly from a Speed Density truck???

Fellro

Staff member
I am pretty sure you can swap the short block, but the heads for certain are different. Now if you are talking about crank, pistons and rods, only common thing might be the rods. Crank is different due to the mentioned rear main seal changes. I would imagine the pistons are likely different, but maybe not enough to be an issue, depending on the compression ratio. The engine management doesn't really affect the internals much, I would expect a fuel injected motor to be a direct trade.

I think the D9? fuel injected engines need clearancing on the skirt at the bottom of the cyl. due to the earlier engines having larger counterweights.

Don't qoute me on that though. I'm into FE's now :p

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
a speed density engine should be a direct swap to MAF... AFAIK the comp ratio is the same through all the years in the Fords. You can go from s/d to a carb with no issues, seen that done.

primetime

sawmill slave
78 and earlier are internally balanced. 79 was the changeover year and could go either way, 80 and newer were externally balanced. According to Fel-Pro, they are all two piece main up to 97. At least that`s what they gave me for my 94.

As stated the d9 and newer blocks have longer cylinder walls and can have clearance issues with the earlier rotating assemblies. And as far as that goes, to my understanding crank strength in a 460 isn`t an issue until you get real serious about making some steam. I`m told it`s the rods that aren`t the greatest. Although I spun mine to 7000 a few times and didn`t have any problems. I wouldn`t reccomend that though.

Check out www.460.com www.429-460.com Ben. There are all kinds of knowledgable fellas on those to sites.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Thanks Justin...been a member on those sites for a few years...I just don't post much. Actually started an efi 460 build question thread on 460 yesterday.

Ford Truck Articles