Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

school me: 4.6 in a van chassis.

racsan

4xford
my ranger's days are numbered, im thinking my next "truck' will be a 1/2 ton van. and with the 4.6 being a common engine now in a van chassis, i know nothing about them. are they as good as a 302? id rather have a 302 but they havent been made for some time now, dont think i want the bigger 5.4, im not going to be towing 8,000 daily with it or be driving in the mountians. or should i just keep looking for a mint, garaged 302/C6 van that was only used for summer trips in a salt-free enviroment? i can always re-gear a differential, most fords need re-geared anyhow.

The Van that the school has to go to wrestling tournements has no power at all and its a 302. My dad is the asst. coach and from a stoplight it had ridiculously low power until the higher RPMs. In a heavy van a 302 isnt ideal. The 4.6L in my car (2004 Mustang GT) has good get-up-and-go, but then again so does my buddy's Capri with a 302. Its all relative with the size of the vehicle.

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
The best Ford Van had the 300 six in it. I've sold quite a few new Chebbies to Companies that are unhappy with the Ford 4.6 powertrain. Issues seems to be more transmission related than engine though.

racsan

4xford
so, given the same chassis, trans & gearing, is there a big difference between the 4.6 and 5.4 the way there is between a 302 & 351? both sets of engines have the same bore (for their engine group) but the bigger of them both use longer rods. in theory the bigger ones should have more torque. i know we had a big fuel useage change between bronco's with the same gearing (3.55) one was a '89 (302) the other was a '96 (351) the biggest difference between the 2 broncs was trans, the 89 ran a creeper 4 speed manual and the '96 has the E4OD. i would think it would be even worse in a van given the weight/aerdynamics. gearing can do alot though, drove a conversion van with the 300/6 and it was only trailer rated at 1,500 pounds, must have had way tall gears, it had a aod and seemed very underpowered.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
^^Cool, but LOTS of work. Based on how the I-4 fits under the hood of a Ranger, I'd bet he's gonna have major clearance issues with the I-6.

racsan

4xford
its been done, in a old wwwtherangerstation.com post, a gen 1 4x4 ranger had a 300 with a C4 auto. it did have a body lift. id go with the creeper 1st 4 speed manual myself if i were to do that. it would be tight, you would need a electric fan, some firewall modification, alot of patience. the 300 is a torque monster, no doubt, but the weight of that thing and the length would pose some real issues. a 302 would be a much easier avenue, though it still would take some doing. for that much work id just step up to a 1/2 ton chassis of some sort. (the bronco is a favorite) and by the way, milage differences betweeen the two broncos: '89 302 std/3.55's got around 17 at best, 12 while towing a 24' travel trailer. the '96 351 E4OD/3.55's gets 13 at very best and around 10 towing a 28' travel trailer. i realize the newer trailer being pulled by the newer bronco is probly heavier, but empty (not towing) it seems like a big difference between the two broncos on fuel consumption. and remember, the '89 is a non-overdrive, the '96 has overdrive. i do think a re-gear to 4.10's would help, the '96 turns about 1,600 in o/d thats seems way to low for that motor, i think if it could spin around 2,000-2,300 it would be better for it, and more in the operating range it should be.

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts