Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Since When Did They Start Using......

..."ignitors"?

OK, my Superintendent's 5.4L f250 with 108,000 miles on it went to the local Ford dealer's service dept today because it was running pretty rough. It's never had a tune up so, it's due.

The dealership called and told what cylinder was not firing and said they were going to install all new "ignitors"! Since when did Ford quit calling sparkplugs sparrkplugs and start calling them ignitors? They then proceeded to tell my boss that they would need to pull the cab to replace them! I am aware of the difficulty in replacing the rear two but I've never heard of the cab having to be pulled.......What say our fine techs here, fact or bs flag ?

Last edited:

blacksnapon

Staff member
Looks like the techs are used to pulling cabs for literally anything. Does it have to be pulled, no! You can service the plugs and coils (yes, we still call them that) without cab removal. It may make it easier for them to do it. For me, if it would be so difficult to require something more drastic, I can have the engine out, and laying on the floor before they can pop the cab. In their defense, the new 9/16 plugs are quite the pain to remove if they've been there very long.

blacksnapon

Staff member
No. But there is a few foreign manufacturers using what they call "igniters", but they most generally are used in the distributors.

Looks like the techs are used to pulling cabs for literally anything......

That is part of why (I am assuming) that the public thinks the cab has to be pulled for everything. In my case, that is exactly why I thought that (seen too many pics on the internet).

You have since told us different, but...

If indeed they are pulling the cabs to change the spark plugs because they are used to it...

The public will assume it has to be done that way.

Seems like ford would specify when pulling the cab is necessary and when it is not. :suspicious:

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
Sounds like a marketing gimmick to force people who would otherwise do such repairs themselves to have the shop do em. when Joe the Plumber calls Ford and asks what the part# is on the plugs so he can tune up his rig they say "cant do that yourself cause we have ta pull the cab, better bring it in..."

blacksnapon

Staff member
Sounds like a marketing gimmick to force people who would otherwise do such repairs themselves to have the shop do em. when Joe the Plumber calls Ford and asks what the part# is on the plugs so he can tune up his rig they say "cant do that yourself cause we have ta pull the cab, better bring it in..."
Bottom line, Plain and simple, Ford only sanctions cab removal on 08 super duties. There is no other labor op that Ford says its ok on. Cab removal was a technique developed by a few techs to make working On the 6.0 easier.

...when Joe the Plumber calls Ford...

:rofl2:

I think I could really start using that line, lol... I really like McCain but I personally think the Joe the Plumber line is pretty humorous. smilietease

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
I espescially like how Joe's real name is "Samuel" and he is now under investigation for back taxes...

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Cab removal was a technique developed by a few techs to make working On the 6.0 easier.

So probably not exactly for "ignitors" then, huh? smiliegitrdone

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts