Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Smoken 6.0

So I have a 06 with 100k miles. Never had a problem, until I let it sit for a year. Now that I started driving it again, it smokes like a chimney!!! (Bluish white). Only when I'm pushing about 1/4 throttle, but it will smoke up the whole block!!! It doesn't smoke at all at idle, and seems to lesson once I floor it and the turbo kicks in. Also, i noticed the truck is having a hard time hitting operating temperature. It's winter in Chicago, though so in the 30-40 degree Fahrenheit range. Other than mentioned, the truck runs like a champ and has plenty of power. Any ideas of where to start? I'm new to working on/with diesels. Thanks in advance.

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
Are you still burning the fuel that was in it when it sat? If so I would burn that and fill with good clean fuel and put some miles on it to see if it changes. Also possible you have some sticky injectors from sitting. You may want to get it scanned even though the check engine light it not on there maybe some codes stored..

Are you still burning the fuel that was in it when it sat? If so I would burn that and fill with good clean fuel and put some miles on it to see if it changes. Also possible you have some sticky injectors from sitting. You may want to get it scanned even though the check engine light it not on there maybe some codes stored..

Oh, I forgot to mention that. No, I've actually burned through several tanks of gas now thinking that might of been the problem. Is there a way to check the injectors without just replacing them all?

blacksnapon

Staff member
Injectors, egr valve, sticky thermostat (warming up issue), dried up valve seals, turbo seals, fuel quality.

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
Oh, I forgot to mention that. No, I've actually burned through several tanks of gas now thinking that might of been the problem. Is there a way to check the injectors without just replacing them all?

The only real way is with a scan tool. You can watch to see what injectors are not contributing 100%..

So, I put some heet and injector cleaner in the tank and it seemed to slightly help. In the meantime I got it hooked up to a computer, and there were no codes stored. I decided to take care of the warming up problem, since that was the easiest, cheapest thing. I replaced the thermostat, and now that the truck could reach normal operatating temperature, the problem went away!!! The smoking still occurs when the engine is cold (running for less than half hour). I could live with this since I know your not suppose to be driving it within that time anyways. Although, I know this isn't normal because I drive several other trucks at work with same engine and approximately same year. It smokes a lot!!!! Any more ideas? Thanks for your help so far, by the way.

maybe I should hold my tongue, but did I read that correctly? "not suppose to be driving it within that time..." 1/2 hr? I strongly disagree, but that may be another thread, I don't wish spread my hippie poison around, lol. Curious what others in the know may have to say on this subject.

I thought that seemed excessive myself. As I said in a previous thread, I'm new to diesels, so that's just what someone told me. PLEASE correct me if that's wrong so I can stop wasting fuel!!!!!

I'm kinda new to diesels too, I put a capful of fuel additive with every tank, and ideally when the temps gets down near freezing, I like the old girl to be plugged in for at least an hour, the colder the longer, but not exceeding more than 4 hrs. Not always able to do this, but at home a timer helps. Usually in the morning after the block heater has been going she starts up good, I roll up the cord and idle on down the street (lucky to be on a hill), and try to slowly bring her up to temp while driving, it's usually early, and I'm out in the sticks, so I hopefully don't tick off too many people.

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
To be honest with you I don't know if theres a "warm up time" specified. I've gotten in these things stone cold and just driven. If it were me i'd warm it up 5 or 10 min and thats it really.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts