Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Steering Shaft Strength

Not having any issues, just got me thinking.. I was replacing my front wheel bearings the other day in my 2000 F250 4x4 with the 7.3, and I turned the wheels with the engine off and wheels on the ground. As expected, the steering wheel was EXTREMELY hard to turn

Just got me wondering, is the steering shaft designed to be able to take this kind of force with the without the power steering pump operating? It certainly seems like something should break with the amount of force required to turn the wheels

Just curious.. maybe it would be a good idea to replace it with 350,000 miles, even though it’s not giving me issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jasperrc

Texas Chapter member
I've never heard of a steering shaft breaking like that but that doesn't mean it hasn't happened.

But if it's not giving you any trouble, I wouldn't fool with it, much more risk in making changes than not unless it has been in a wreck or is showing damage from rust or misuse.

Just my 2 cents, :).

Ford Truck Articles