Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

suspension

ok i was trying to fix the rear suspension because the guy i got it from had the rear dropped all the way so cant even put any weight in the bed. question is though, are the leaf springs supposed to be on top or underneith the rear end? as of right now it is bolted undernieth and i was thinking that maybe thats how he lowered it by swithching it from top to bottom. and also i see how to remove the rear bolt of the leaf spring but how do you take it off from the front connection? i dont see a bolt like on the back. thanks

The springs go on top in the stock setup.

Here is the rear of mine with the wheel off:

DSCF0919.jpg

I have had all the springs off of mine (and totally apart). I cannot think at the moment, but when I am not 3/4 asleep tomorrow...I will try to remember to look either under mine or in the book. It is not hard to get them off.

I think there is a keeper bolt (crosswise) somewhere and you drive the pin out through a hole in the frame. I will have to check.

As posted above...try to get some pics of yours if you can. That would help us determine what might have been switched out. As far as I can tell...mine is all stock.

Last edited:
ok i will post pics up tonight ya i think he just mounted it under the rear axle and he took the shocks off so i have to replace those too. ya it looks like the front mount for the leaf spring is a pin you hammer through but does it turn as well or jus put a bolt in there and hammer it out? thanks guys

I am trying to remember. The "pin" had a flat spot that wedges it in (I think). I know it does not turn. You have to remove the pin in order to get the bolt that holds the spring in to come out.

I believe you need to drive it out from inside the frame with a drift pin. I used a really long center punch. It was all I had that would fit in there.

ok i must be dumb but i cant figure out how to get this front mount of the leaf spring off here is a pic of what im talking about.

PICT1374.jpg

You see that "pin" sticking out of there? You have to get it out of the way first. It is wedged into a slot in the "bolt" that holds the spring in there.

Then (I think) you have to drive the "bolt" out from inside the frame.

Let me go get my book and check for sure.

BRB

EDIT: Give me about 30 minutes and I will scan the instructions. I have not eaten anything all day and I am starving. We are talking about the rear ones?

Last edited:
alright i got that threaded pin out, didnt even know it could come out haha, now it seems like there is a pin or something through the whole in the leaf spring but does it need to be hammered out if so does it matter which way? thanks

Thanks redlightning. I did not have a picture of the pin anywhere.

Yes...you drive them out from the back (inside the frame) with a drift pin.

Let's see if I can attach the instructions and if they are legible.

Click on thumbnails for larger pics:

Attachments

• Save0012.jpg
  • Save0013.jpg
Last edited:
Maybe...mine were stuck in there pretty good. If you use a screw driver...use one that the steel goes all the way through. The plastic handled ones won't take much (if any) serious pounding.

I used a "center punch" to drive them out on mine. No drift pin either (back then). I have an assortment of Craftsman drift pins and punches now.

You could use a round rod or just about anything that will fit into the hole (with some play-so it does not get stuck!).

I had to hit the punch (held by vice grips-I miss once in a while) pretty hard with a 3 pound shop hammer (mini-sledge hammer) to get mine out. One was really stuck in there! The first one was not too bad, fortunately.

I would lightly coat everything with grease when you put it back together.

Redlightning posted some good pictures. I never took them on mine when I was working on it.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts