Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

The 2022 Ford Maverick Pickup Truck Review in R&T

Road and Track magazine calls the new Ford Maverick "the truck America needs". What do you think? I like the lower cost and the features included, I just think they need to add another couple thousand pounds to the towing capacity and an extended cab option for those who want a longer bed instead of 4 doors. Just my 2 cents.

ford-maverick-first-edition-01-1633533437.jpg

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
It's the truck that people who don't need a truck might actually need...but the people who don't need trucks, either don't buy them, or buy them because they want a truck- and I'm not clear that either group is going to pony up and buy one.

I want to like it...and, for the price and MPG, I kind of even do...for somebody else. As one of the last four Americans (or so it feels) who insists on rowing my own gears...it's off the table for that alone.

And while it would probably (barely) meet all my needs with regard to cargo moving...the truth is, so would lots of non-trucks, that would be easier/preferable to live with for the 90% of my miles that are basically just hauling my butt around...I don't really see the value of a truck bed of those dimensions, as against (say) the Bronco Sport. I'd still need a small trailer to haul stuff...so why not have it all enclosed, dry, lockable space.

(And yes, I know I have a crew cab Tacoma with the 5' box, which is the same idea. If they still built the 4Runner (or XTerra, or almost any body-on-frame SUV) with a manual trans, I'd have bought one.)

Ludachris

Staff member
I want to like it...and, for the price and MPG, I kind of even do...for somebody else. As one of the last four Americans (or so it feels) who insists on rowing my own gears...it's off the table for that alone.
This is my feeling exactly, Ian.

And while it would probably (barely) meet all my needs with regard to cargo moving...the truth is, so would lots of non-trucks, that would be easier/preferable to live with for the 90% of my miles that are basically just hauling my butt around...I don't really see the value of a truck bed of those dimensions, as against (say) the Bronco Sport. I'd still need a small trailer to haul stuff...so why not have it all enclosed, dry, lockable space.
Another great point. There are a few things SUVs aren't great for (like messy dump runs and yard waste, maybe hauling large appliances), but if it's easy and convenient to hook up a trailer, then that point is moot.

I'm guessing the Maverick will appeal to some who live in the city or suburbs who don't have trailers and feel that they need a pickup, especially those who have run to Home Depot on a several occasions and found they couldn't fit their purchases in their car due to interior cargo space limitations, thinking a small truck would be useful in that regard. Then again, as you mentioned, this will likely appeal to people who "think" they need a pickup more than those who actually need one.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts