Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Touch up paint

So I went and drove the Bronco today and noticed that there are a couple places on my hood, including a spot about the size of a half dollar that are missing paint and are down to the primer. I put some polish on it to protect the paint for the time being. Who makes the best touch up kits or weather this jobs better be left to the professionals.

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
Most places that sell dupont paint can scan and color match you vehicle. Then they can put it in a spray can. This is the route I go for small doings and nicks.nicks. Sure beats buying a pint of paint and reducer and all the mixing and setup for a few small spots.It costs me about 15 bucks a can.

Is say leave it. It's not obvious.

I'll take pics some time, the big one is right on the little hump on the gen 8 hood. I've actually thought of putting painters tape on it to protect it and it'll be less noticeable since it's blue. It's likely from the summer sun beating on it.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
I always liked to touch up areas like that. Primer is not water proof, although some people don't give much thought to it. It's porous and will rust, albeit slightly slower than bare metal.

I think I'd try and get the paint code and see if your parts store has a color that is supposed to match it and use the brush on small spots - maybe a can on big spots. If anyone in the family has any experience with paint prep it could be a fun little learning experience.

Ryan

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Most places that sell dupont paint can scan and color match you vehicle. Then they can put it in a spray can. This is the route I go for small doings and nicks.

This is the route I go too. Just be sure you have your paint code, and name of the paint. Some places don't have clue. Given, this was at an O'Reilly's...but they're a Dupont vendor, I dunno if the codes were switched or what...but I bought a can of paint for my brother's Jeep...the color code matched, but the color name didn't. The color ended up laying in the color of the listed name.

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
Most of the good stores have a scanner they can place the scanner on the vehicle and get the color code.
They can also use the codes off the scanner incase your paint it faded to color match the faded color you have now.

This is the route I go too. Just be sure you have your paint code, and name of the paint. Some places don't have clue. Given, this was at an O'Reilly's...but they're a Dupont vendor, I dunno if the codes were switched or what...but I bought a can of paint for my brother's Jeep...the color code matched, but the color name didn't. The color ended up laying in the color of the listed name.

I didn't know O'Reily sold the paint, this is going to be alot easier to get now.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
^^^Yeah...they sure do. Dunno if they all do though. I know of the two in my town does, but I'm not sure about the other. Regardless, have all the pertinent info available for them, in case they are lacking on scanners, screwed ups in the computer, etc. The screw up on my bro's jeep was no big deal, it was just an extra replacement fender...but if you were to spray a blue that was 10x's darker on your hood, you might be a little pissed.

^^^Yeah...they sure do. Dunno if they all do though. I know of the two in my town does, but I'm not sure about the other. Regardless, have all the pertinent info available for them, in case they are lacking on scanners, screwed ups in the computer, etc. The screw up on my bro's jeep was no big deal, it was just an extra replacement fender...but if you were to spray a blue that was 10x's darker on your hood, you might be a little pissed.

I know the paint name and I'm going to look up the number. FYI, it's Bright Regatta Blue Metallic.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts