Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

TPMS

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
My '09 Ranger currently has the stock wheels, with original TPMS sensors mounted on it, with snow tires mounted. The factory ATs are in storage (junk Goodyears, but I'll run 'em 'til they wear out) for now.

I'm planning on getting a second set of rims for the summer (AT) tires. (Probably these or these.)

Looks like the TPMS sensors from Ford run a bit over $100 a corner...and the local auto parts store is about the same.

Anybody know where I can find 'em cheaper online? Or think it's worth the extra $$$ for dealer parts?

OR...From my research, '09 Rangers still use the older "band" style sensor that clamps around the wheel, rather than the valve-stem style that's becoming more popular (and is cheaper). I've never seen any indication the two are interchangable...but at the same time, since it's a wireless thing, I can't see why they wouldn't be, so long as the sensor spits out the right signal at the right frequency to keep the computer happy. Anybody know if that's an option?

(I'm trying to work out if I could just mount four sensors in the spare tire and keep IT inflated...doubt I'll do it even it it would work, but anybody know if it would?)

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Nobody?

OK...how 'bout comments on the wheel options.

Looking at these:

crr-3425712_cp.jpg

or these:

crr-397_w.jpg

on this truck:

IMG_2241.jpg

Tire size will be 235/75-15 (what's on it in the pics), tires will be highway biased all-seasons (stockers, 'til they wear out, then replaced with a better version of same), and I'll probably just move the chrome Ford center caps over, rather than spend the extra cash for the Cragar center caps and chromed acorn lug nuts.

Thoughts? I'm slightly hesitant about the black rims, but I need to run steelies (to clear the brakes without moving to a 16" rim), so most of my "top choice" wheels are out of the question, even if I could afford them...and I'm leaning toward black over chrome or grey steelies.

*Guess I should mention the rest of the chrome on the truck- step bars are coming off, bumpers are painted silver. Grille and mirrors are chromed, but that's it other than the wheels.

blacksnapon

Staff member
You can purchase just the bands at your dealer. Then replace the sensors into your new wheels. You need to put the sensor 180* from the valve stem. Then you have to have the sensors trained.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
You can purchase just the bands at your dealer. Then replace the sensors into your new wheels. You need to put the sensor 180* from the valve stem. Then you have to have the sensors trained.

No, I need new sensors, too. I've got snow tires on the factory wheels, and want to end up with two complete, fully functional (including TPMS) sets of wheels I can swap back and forth. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

*Will I have to "retrain" the sensors every time I swap summer/winter tires? If so, how easy or hard is that process?

blacksnapon

Staff member
No, I need new sensors, too. I've got snow tires on the factory wheels, and want to end up with two complete, fully functional (including TPMS) sets of wheels I can swap back and forth. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

*Will I have to "retrain" the sensors every time I swap summer/winter tires? If so, how easy or hard is that process?
Yep! Theres a piece of equipment that does it. Its about the size of a tv remote. Procedure is to key on/off 3 times ending on...press the brake.....key on/off 3 times ending on. Horn will honk. Use the tool on the left front...horn honks. Repeat with rf, rr, lr, after last horn honk, turn off key....horn honks confirming training complete.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
OK...hmm. A dealer-only piece of equipment? One any tire shop would have? One I can buy for myself? (Reason it's such a big deal is that the local dealership has lost my trust and thus my business, and the other one that's not too far out of my usual travels isn't open for service at any times I can conveniently get there.)

I was gonna live with this system, but this is running into a lot of money and inconvenience for something I neither need nor want.

Seriously- can I put four of these damned transmitters in my spare tire and have the computer think it's good?

blacksnapon

Staff member
OK...hmm. A dealer-only piece of equipment? One any tire shop would have? One I can buy for myself?
They're for sale at any parts store, so tire shops should have them.

Seriously- can I put four of these damned transmitters in my spare tire and have the computer think it's good?
only if you can train then separately.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
only if you can train then separately.

OK...hmmm.

This is incredibly frustrating.

Guess I need to do some more research, and some more thinking.

*If you were just replacing a set of worn out tires- you know- truck drives in, each wheel comes off, a new tire is put on the wheel, wheels go back on the truck- would you have to recalibrate the sensors? Or would it "hold" the last training until a new one came along?

blacksnapon

Staff member
OK...hmmm.

This is incredibly frustrating.

Guess I need to do some more research, and some more thinking.

*If you were just replacing a set of worn out tires- you know- truck drives in, each wheel comes off, a new tire is put on the wheel, wheels go back on the truck- would you have to recalibrate the sensors? Or would it "hold" the last training until a new one came along?
Make sure the same sensor goes back at the same corner, it should be ok with the same pressure.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Make sure the same sensor goes back at the same corner, it should be ok with the same pressure.

OK...I was trying to work out how to get all four sensors to read happily from the spare tire. By the sounds of it I could make it work...but I'd probably need to find a buddy with access to a tire machine.

Looks like I can get one of those "remote control" dealies for about $20, either online or from Ford, though...so I'll probably just go that route, though.

Thanks, Vince!

Make sure you put the sensors on the right way, one edge neds to face the outside of the wheel.

Tire rack actually sells wheels with the sensors on them!

This system is the biggest PAIN, the older one is even worse.. Ford had the bright idea of makeing a sensor/valvestem combo made of white metal, and out a metal cap on them..

The pile of broken sensors grows ALOT in a year.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts