Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Transmittion fluid

Hi all:

I want to start on my fluid replacments on my '06 Expy with 23k miles on it. I like to get the first trany change in early because I have found there is alot of metal in there before the first 40k. Anyway, the question is...the trany fluid in the trany pan doesn't co-mingle with the transfer case fluid right? Is there any reason that I couldn't drop the transfer case fluid myself and then a couple of weeks from now have the trany fluid done at a shop? I hear changing the filter is a mess. From what I can tell these are two independant systems so having different fluid in them won't matter? right?

Thanks much!

blacksnapon

Staff member
Hi all:

I want to start on my fluid replacments on my '06 Expy with 23k miles on it. I like to get the first trany change in early because I have found there is alot of metal in there before the first 40k. Anyway, the question is...the trany fluid in the trany pan doesn't co-mingle with the transfer case fluid right? Is there any reason that I couldn't drop the transfer case fluid myself and then a couple of weeks from now have the trany fluid done at a shop? I hear changing the filter is a mess. From what I can tell these are two independant systems so having different fluid in them won't matter? right?

Thanks much!
They are both separate from each other.

Ford Truck Articles