Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Won't Start

Hello everyone, I’m new and I came here to talk about my 1973 F100. About 22,000 miles ago I had my 360 replaced with a 360 Jasper motor. I’ve never had any problems until recently. In May of 2023 I went into the hospital and then into a rehabilitation center to recover from my operation. My truck ran great when I drove to the hospital. I had a friend move my truck to another friends house while I was in the hospital. At that time it ran just fine. It sat at this friend’s house for four months while I recovered from my operation. When I had the chance to get to my truck after four months, it wouldn’t start. My friend said he took the liberty to try and start it and in the process he said he dribbled gas down the carburetor to prime it which resulted in a flame that shot out of the carburetor. I verified I had spark, and rebuilt the carburetor. I am getting gas and air but it would start. I sprayed carburetor cleaner into the air filter and it started. I was able to get it started every week for a month sinse then until last week. I still have spark, I’m still getting gas, the plugs are clean, I put a brand new battery in it, but it just won’t start. Any ideas.

Fellro

Staff member
Could well be a vacuum leak or as mentioned the power valve. I had a 75 that the hose to the brake booster developed a hole. It was intermittent about starting and once that got bad enough it wouldn't start at all.

Could well be a vacuum leak or as mentioned the power valve. I had a 75 that the hose to the brake booster developed a hole. It was intermittent about starting and once that got bad enough it wouldn't start at all.
I'll have to check my hoses. There is nothing obvious so I didn't think to look. Thanks!

Fellro

Staff member
The hole I had was on the bottom, so wasn't easily visible.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts