Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Austin's 89 Bronco

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Connections, cables, solenoid or starter.

Checked connections and cables. I'm going to brush them off now, but they look clean. Any test to perform on the starter?

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
You can either meter it or go direct to the battery.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
I'm beginning to think I have a relay problem... Still no lights with the new battery. No accessories either. Still one click on the solenoid.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Have you jumped the solenoid out?

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Ahahaha - shut it.

And, nope, still not starting. Got a new starter solenoid and charged the battery up. Get one click. More of a grunt.

No electronics - no lights, no radio... but strangely enough, I can still hear the aftermarket door chime.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Austin....do what I said a few posts back...turn the headlights on and take a battery reading...or take the battery out and get it load tested.

primetime

sawmill slave
Check your ground cable. If it still has the oe cable on it, check where it bolts to the frame. I`ve seen where it`s just a strap wrapped around with the insulation off and they corrode. Pull it off the bolck and wire brush everything. Bend the cable at the lug end and see if you can get a peak at the wire to see if theres any green visible.

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
atleast when my Red Flareside was done for a while it was cause it needed head gaskets.. yours is just a battery probably... or even worse.. a connection....

so sad...........................

:wasntme: smilietease

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Austin....do what I said a few posts back...turn the headlights on and take a battery reading...or take the battery out and get it load tested.

I tested it with my Rotunda tester from work, and it tested at 610 CCA out of 650. With something like 12.98 volts (had it sitting around for a day or two).

Check your ground cable. If it still has the oe cable on it, check where it bolts to the frame. I`ve seen where it`s just a strap wrapped around with the insulation off and they corrode. Pull it off the bolck and wire brush everything. Bend the cable at the lug end and see if you can get a peak at the wire to see if theres any green visible.

I was pondering about the ground wire today after admiring my shiny starter solenoid. Everything is corrosion free, but I haven't checked the ground to the frame.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
atleast when my Red Flareside was done for a while it was cause it needed head gaskets.. yours is just a battery probably... or even worse.. a connection....

so sad...........................

:wasntme: smilietease

Chris (prepare for mini rant!) - It's an act of congress to work on my rigs when I work 70 hours a week and have two elderly grandparents to tend to while simultaneously maintaining my perfect figure!

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
okay so I have 2 batteries connected to the bronco.... I determined that the battery cables were bad so I am jumping with the second battery. I get all of my electronics and lights on when I have the second battery hooked up, until I turn the key forward to crank. then I lose all lights in electronics until I move the jumper cables around and start again. when I turn the key forward I still only get 1 click.

by the way I am posting from my phone while using my voice to type! :D

Hmmmmm....:suspicious:

(read that as payback is a son of a gun!) smilietease

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Good looking bronco.

Thanks Cliff!

Got Blue running today - turns out the cable going from the battery to the starter solenoid was bad (I noticed it sparking when I tried to jump the solenoid). Hook up a jumper from the batt to the solenoid and test, test confirmed. Of course I had to let her run, and drive around the neighborhood, and make some excited phone calls.

Then I realized how much of a PITA this cable has been to me. Completely overlooked it.

Fluids need replenishing; power steering especially.

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
Thanks Cliff!

Got Blue running today - turns out the cable going from the battery to the starter solenoid was bad (I noticed it sparking when I tried to jump the solenoid). Hook up a jumper from the batt to the solenoid and test, test confirmed. Of course I had to let her run, and drive around the neighborhood, and make some excited phone calls.

Then I realized how much of a PITA this cable has been to me. Completely overlooked it.

Fluids need replenishing; power steering especially.

Glad to hear it. smilieFordlogo

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Thanks Cliff. I celebrated by a good wash... in the dark. smilieFordlogo

2012-04-03_20-51-52_266.jpg

2012-04-03_20-43-22_269.jpg

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Got the rear window down - it appears the dash switch was stuck in the 'up' position. It's currently not hooked up until I figure out if I wired it wrong or if the switch is bad.

Taking the top off as soon as I can find a hand. :D

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
Buy a new seal....it won't ever seal well most likely. FYI, the rear window motor is the same as the passenger window motor.....for future reference.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts