Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Blower Motor Replaced

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
I finally took on the task of replacing my blower motor on my 75. The original one worked but squealed so bad at times it hurt the ears. I never replaced one before with factory A/C while the evaporator box was still in the truck. What a PITA. It only took me all day and of course it was 95 degrees out. I also replaced the heater core while I was in there so hopefully it will be good for a long time. I did add a bit of extra wire to the blower motor and made it so I can at least access the blower motor from under the hood. I ground off the rivets holding the plate on the black box under the hood and turned the clips around so the motor can mount right. The motor shaft comes very close to the plate, but does clear barely. Than I just used some small bolts to mount the plate back on. Seams to work just fine. The blower should last a long time but figured if I ever need to replace it, it will be a much easier task.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
A person only wants to do that job once! Looks nice. I did mine from the inside, and it was about a 12 hour job.(First time I'd done it)

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Geez...a real motivator to get the Broncos done...it's been squeezing for 2 winters now. Looks good Buck...any advice so it doesn't take all day???

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
^^^Stupid autocorrect. Squeezing=squealing

Mine doesn't run at all, been wondering how hard it would be to replace. Thanks for the time estimate.

Any tips you would have? Where did you get the new parts?

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
It can probably be done in about 5 or 6 hours I am guessing. I took time to get some lunch, drive 30 miles round trip to get a heater core and even take some time to stop at menards for about 20 minutes. If I didn't do that and just kept at it, I think I would have had it done in about 5 hours give or take. I'd plan on most of the day though.

Rock Auto is a good place for parts. I ordered the wrong heater core so I ended up getting one from Napa. Its aluminum instead of copper, but fit well.

If the AC isn't chraged, my suggestion is to take the evaporator out completely from under the dash to give more room, otherwise it's a pain.

I also read where another guy changed the blower from under the hood without changing theheater core or messing with anything else. He took the plate off under the hood, managed to get the squirral cage off (need a longer allen wrench) and then cut the metal supports of the blower to get the motor out to be able to unscrew the metal supports and bend them enough to get them through the mounting hole. Just make sure when taking the motor out to cut the wire as closr to motor as possible because there isn't much to work with. When its completely out, flip the mount tabs and mount the new one. I chose not to take that on because I wanted to change the heater core anyway and also to clean up the inside of the box. I figured I'd have to change the heater core at some point so why not now.

Ford Truck Articles