Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

inside fuel tank rust

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
I took out my midship tank on my 75 and the outside is great, but the inside has some tight rust in areas. I swashed around some acetone in it to see what crud came out and really not much. I'm wondering if the surface rust inside will bother. That particular tank is no longer available and it has a obsolete sending unit (unless I want to pay over $200 if I found one). I may end up just leaving the damn thing out. Less stuff to worry about not working.

I just had to do this on my 74. I threw a length of small chain in the tank and poured a gallon of acetone into the tank. Swashed it around for about 30 minutes and then rinsed the tank out thoroughly with water until I saw nothing but clear water coming out of the tank. Bought a new sending unit, reinstalled the tank and life is good. There was some rust in mine too, but the gas will slowly break down some of it and it will just get caught in your fuel filter(s). I ran a set of filters for about a week and them replaced them. They were very dirty. The new ones have been in for about a week now too, but are clean as can be so far.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
I took out my midship tank on my 75 and the outside is great, but the inside has some tight rust in areas. I swashed around some acetone in it to see what crud came out and really not much. I'm wondering if the surface rust inside will bother. That particular tank is no longer available and it has a obsolete sending unit (unless I want to pay over $200 if I found one). I may end up just leaving the damn thing out. Less stuff to worry about not working.

Is the midship tank plastic or metal? Does the sending unit go in the side of the tank?

BuzzGun79

Nov.TOTM 2012 / 2012 TOTY
agreed with the tank liner....works well Buck as far as the sender you may want to checkout LMC...

Side mounted only steel tank 73-79 Part number 43-4024 $49.95
" " Plastic tank Part number 43-4026 $49.95

Give them a call to double check for your application 1-800-562-8782

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
Its a steel tank and I have already checked out the sending unit and its different than the ones from LMC. Its obsolete. I can still use it for a pickup tube and I was just looking at it and I might be able to clean it up and salvage it. The inside of the electrical contact for the float looks to be good. I might be able to just clean up the wire connections and see if it works.

I have also read about the chain and gravel trick with acetone to clean up the inside. I just may go with the POR 15 liner.

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
Since I'm talking about the midship tank, the wire from the fuel selector valve on the frame was cut and just sitting in the engine bay. I believe it was a blue wire. I was trying to look at a wire diagram, but I was a little confused by it. Isn't the wire just supposed to be hooked up to the selector switch on the A/C heater controls?

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Yes. On my '78, the blue wire goes directly from the selector switch to the midship and aft axle tank.

And I also forgot to mention the obvious: It does travel through the fuse block with a 7.5 amp fuse for the fuel tank selector switch.

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles