Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

The next victim to get cut up

I went and looked at this truck today. I couldn't believe my eyes when I opened up the driver door and looked at the interior. I sat in it and thought it was 1980 again. Not a rip in the seat, stock AM/FM stereo radio still in the dash, a mint tilt column that looked like it was an NOS unit just put in, the dash was in excellent condition, brown XLT door panels are near perfect other than a little chrome peeling.

If I were building a brown regular cab truck I would pull the whole interior and put it in there and it would be good enough for a show. I just can't get over how mint it was inside.

The body and frame on the other hand is junk. Severe rust on the dual tank/toolbox bed and lower part of the doors.

The engine was supposedly rebuilt 10K ago, trans worked great he said. Only problem with the truck is the brake lines are rusted away.

So the crewcab gets A/C and I plan to pull the motor and trans and swap it all over. That means I am getting rid of the stick shift.

The new gauge panel under the dash helps me to believe that the motor may only have 10K on it. Seems like a real honest guy. Gets delivered on Sunday and then I begin stripping it down.

!BpC4F5wCGk~$(KGrHqIH-CYEuYYqTKwIBLptK9fIP!~~_12.JPG

!BpC3q7!!Wk~$(KGrHqMH-EUEuYESHe3RBLptJdLO7Q~~_12.JPG

!BpC4O2!!2k~$(KGrHqMH-D0EuZJpo-HpBLptLcl2ew~~_12.JPG

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
That is one hell of a find there. Maybe you should just swap out the interior for the crew and put a nice metallic brown matching paint job on it. But then you would have to get away from your color scheme with your other truck and Bronco.

Wow, dont even look like the interior and exterior pics go together...

I know, I about crapped myself when I looked at the inside. I figured for sure it would be as bad as the exterior.

Maybe you should just swap out the interior for the crew and put a nice metallic brown matching paint job on it.

I thought the same thing Buck but I have a real nice set of black XLT door panels for the front and back doors so I have to stay with my original color of gray. I will pretty much use all of the dash parts on the crew, even the stock radio. I'll try and hide a CD player somewhere in it.

There are a ton of misc pieces that I can use off this truck to finish the crew up nicely. Whatever I don't use will go to ebay to help get back some money for the initial investment.

I'm getting excited to start stripping it down and it isn't even here yet!

bendog

Pacific Northwest Chapter member
I may be the only one here who loves the brown metal flake paint, looks perfect with dog dish hubcaps, and some stock size mud tires.
Rust kills too many trucks, I'm crying on my keyboard.

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Good find . Thats what 90% of truck look like here. But with interior to match .

Effing amazing. Looks like they spent a good chunk o' coin restoring the inside and decided to put their efforts elsewhere... so you reap the benefits :)

How's the carpeting?

Truck got dropped off today. Motor sounded excellent and it will be going into the crew. It is a 400 engine that replaced the 351M.

Effing amazing. Looks like they spent a good chunk o' coin restoring the inside and decided to put their efforts elsewhere... so you reap the benefits :)

I don't think they restored it at all on the inside. I think it was strictly used as a plow truck for the last 6 years. The title says the guy I got it from bought it in 04. His son told me today that it was in great shape till they started plowing with it, bought it from the original owner. Amazing what salt does to a vehicle.

How's the carpeting?

It has a couple pieces of black duct tape on it, right by where the floorboards start to rust out but other than that it looked OK.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Couldn't see the pics and have a couple questions. So you got this truck dropped off at your place, Scott? If so, what's the chances I could score the dash pad and door panels for the brother-in-law price?

Couldn't see the pics and have a couple questions. So you got this truck dropped off at your place, Scott? If so, what's the chances I could score the dash pad and door panels for the brother-in-law price?

It was already loaded on a trailer so he brought it to the shop. I started in on it today and got the front clip completely off and all of the wiring undone. Motor might be out by the end of the week. Only reason I say might is because I may end up painting the crew Thursday and Friday.

I'd really like to put this stuff on ebay Ben to get the most money back to recover some of my cost. If you want to shoot me a PM with an offer for the panels and dash pad, both of which are in great shape, I'll gladly take it into consideration.

Nice. Very nice score. I too would be interested in what interior parts you are going to sell off (like the tilt column) for Burt.
Dak

I don't know if you need it but the seat is in excellent shape. There is not one rip that I have seen. If your cushions are good you could replace just the covers. It also has a set of nice visors and headliner.

I'm swapping the motor and C6 setup into the crew so the tilt column will be going with it.

I do have another tilt column that is real tight, just needs a lower bearing that I would sell.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Alright Scott no biggie, I totally understand. On the flip side, I don't want to insult you and low ball you, any chance you could send me a PM for what you would like/expect to get for that stuff?

Hell no reason to hide it. I just watched a set of blue XLT panels on ebay bring 356 bucks. If I can get anywhere close to 300 I'd be happy. The dash pad, I don't know 75 maybe.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Alright...well I can tell ya right now the door panels aren't gonna happen...I've only got one pay check under my belt...haha. As for the dash pad, I'll probably watch it and throw a bid or two at it...I'm the same name on ebay.

No problem Ben, every little bit helps right now in todays struggling economy PLUS any additional $$$ will help me to get the paint and materials for the crew. I just bought a nice Devilbiss HVLP gun off of ebay that should be here tommorow so I plan on spraying by the end of the week. bigdance

dakonthemountain

California Chapter member
My seat is in great shape already, as is the visors and headliner, but thanks!
What state are you in? I just realized that shipping for the tilt column might be prohibitive. I'm gonna keep looking at the junk yards out here. We still have quite a number of dents in the yards to pick a part...
Thanks again and don't forget to post the pictures of your project!
Dak

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts