Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

This guy got the ebay shaft

I always watch when new 79 F-350's show up on ebay. I watched this one sell for 9600 a couple weeks ago and thought it was a pretty good price for a true F-350. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140321958143&viewitem=

Now I see the buyer has again put http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0356656195&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT it up on ebay after owning for less than 2 weeks. It seems the seller gave him a truck with a title for an F-350 chassis and a title for an F-250 for the body. Now the guy can't even get it registered in the state he lives in.

Personally I think the guy that sold the truck with the door jamb's tag scraped off and no VIN tag on the door should be prosecuted. It has to be some type of felony offense to sell a truck like that without the proper VIN tag.

Gone:
!BUKY80!BGk~$(KGrHgoOKkEEjlLm(0GPBKMGzoiy9!~~_1.JPG

!BUKY-Jw!mk~$(KGrHgoOKiIEjlLm(KVwBKMGzv68-w~~_1.JPG

My guess is with the honesty of the current seller there is no way he is going to recoup his $9600 bucks. He will be lucky if that auction tops 5K.

What I don't understand is why eBay doesn't REQUIRE the seller to list the VIN up there on the info section!!! If the buyer didn't ask for a VIN or a faxed copy of the title before the purchase, then it's a hard lesson learned.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
off couser, Chirs is the firsts to post in thrad about shaft.

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
What I don't understand is why eBay doesn't REQUIRE the seller to list the VIN up there on the info section!!! If the buyer didn't ask for a VIN or a faxed copy of the title before the purchase, then it's a hard lesson learned.

Agreed...

(10cl)

They do on 1981 and up VEH's That's when ALL autos went to a 17 digit VIN.A auto before 81 Ebay doesn't require a VIN because of age and # of DIGS were all over the place pre 81.Theres 2 sides to every story.We don't know what was said in their correspondance with each other.Bottom line the 2nd guy wouldn't of paid almost 10k If he new he couldn't title it.Was he gun ho for a 350 AND stupid or was he mislead.Either way ripping the tags was really BAD

It seems like the VIN would have followed the cab around. So in this case it would have been sold as a '79 F-250 on a 1-ton chassis. I wonder why the original seller didn't just go this route...or the current seller for that matter. Title it as the '79 F-250 and forget about the other title...DONE!

It seems like the VIN would have followed the cab around. So in this case it would have been sold as a '79 F-250 on a 1-ton chassis. I wonder why the original seller didn't just go this route...or the current seller for that matter. Title it as the '79 F-250 and forget about the other title...DONE!

I don't know about VA But here in NH/MA u need to take ALL auto to get them safety/emission tested.Unless a person "knows somebody" Those ripped VIN labels are gonna stick out like a sore thumb.No inspector is going to risk there license by putting a sticker on that trk.If a cop or DOT saw that dr.cab.Thered be hell to pay.That's why it was so bad off the 1st seller to rip-em.If he hadn't I'd agree with ya,Just go with it as a 250 and that title.I've never seen someone look for the frame VIN in a safety inspection.I'd carry copies of both titles if it ever came up though :).Then it's just a honest body swap.With proof of ownership of the body AND chassis

Fellro

Staff member
I never really understood why the vin tag is on the door, pretty easy to swap it and make it look all legal like. It makes more sense to put the tag on a more permanent part, like the cab. That is a big part of why it is mounted on the dash, along with being able to be inspected without having to open the doors...

I don't know about VA But here in NH/MA u need to take ALL auto to get them safety/emission tested.

That sucks! We used to have to get vehicle inspections here in Arkansas but thankfully not anymore. You just need to show the DMV office proof of insurance, personal property assessment, and a bill of sale if it's your first time to tag the vehicle.

I never really understood why the vin tag is on the door, pretty easy to swap it and make it look all legal like. It makes more sense to put the tag on a more permanent part, like the cab. That is a big part of why it is mounted on the dash, along with being able to be inspected without having to open the doors...

Ford also put a VIN tag attached to the engine side of the firewall.

Last edited:

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
I'm kinda wondering what he did that now he can't get it licensed. He must have been the "good guy" and said he doesn't have the VIN tag or sticker and the DMV said NOPE. I guess I'd keep the truck because you'd loose money, and go to Marti Reports and get a VIN tag replacement and door jamb sticker to whatever title he has. Then, go to another DMV in that state and get it licensed. It's a shady area, but that's about all you can really do at this point. Not the most "LEGAL" thing to do either. But, the truck is pretty shady. Most likely not even an F350.

If the buyer didn't ask for a VIN or a faxed copy of the title before the purchase, then it's a hard lesson learned.

I disagree. The 1st seller never incuded any pictures of the door jamb VIN tags. He has been around these trucks a loooong time. I think he knew exactly what he was doing. Why wouldn't he have put in the information that the truck has two titles? He went out of his way to state "this truck" in his sale ad. I didn't get the impression from the ad that the truck was pieced together.

The Paint On This Truck Is All Original And It Is Starting To Thin In Some Spots. Due To It Thinning, There Are Two Spots Of Primer On The Hood From Where It Thinned. This Truck Originated In The Washington State.

We don't know what was said in their correspondance with each other.Bottom line the 2nd guy wouldn't of paid almost 10k If he new he couldn't title it. Was he gun ho for a 350 AND stupid or was he mislead.Either way ripping the tags was really BAD

Hollis you know these trucks as well as anyone. If there are no door tags on it you know it is going to be a real ***** to get registered.

Can't sell it as an F-250, all the VIN information was gone. The only VIN# left on that truck is going to be what is stamped on the frame rail.

Ford also put a VIN tag attached to the engine side of the firewall.

I don't know what you have been looking at but the only trucks that got a VIN tag on the firewall are the Camper Specials. I told him about that tag because it was claimed to be a Camper Special and he said it is not there.

I guess I'd keep the truck because you'd loose money, and go to Marti Reports and get a VIN tag replacement and door jamb sticker to whatever title he has. Then, go to another DMV in that state and get it licensed. It's a shady area, but that's about all you can really do at this point. Not the most "LEGAL" thing to do either. But, the truck is pretty shady. Most likely not even an F350.

I already suggested and gave the web address to Marti to the current seller. I also told him where to look on the frame for the 350 VIN stamp. He's pretty short with his return emails so I think he is a little pissed off.

I all ready said pulling the plate/tab was a REAL bad idea,I've dealt with the origianal seller and he's always been a stand up guy.almost 1000 ebay transactions and this one was his only blemish.I'm just saying theres 2 sides to every story.Not knowing the back ground on the 2nd person I'm at a disadavantage in forming a opinion.Things I do know is besides the obvious issue all he could do to pick at the trks quality was the gas tank.It seems by the pics that trk is very correct EVEN though it was put together.I also know theres alot of inexperienced buyers out there when it comes to our trks.That have a lot more $ than knowledge.I refer to them as "dreamers" Meaning they want to get into a 250 w/ a frt 60 or 350 especially as nice as that one is at all costs.Then worry about the "logistics" Like being able to register it after wards.

FTF'er
I all ready said pulling the plate/tab was a REAL bad idea,I've dealt with the origianal seller and he's always been a stand up guy.almost 1000 ebay transactions and this one was his only blemish.I'm just saying theres 2 sides to every story.Not knowing the back ground on the 2nd person I'm at a disadavantage in forming a opinion.Things I do know is besides the obvious issue all he could do to pick at the trks quality was the gas tank.It seems by the pics that trk is very correct EVEN though it was put together.I also know theres alot of inexperienced buyers out there when it comes to our trks.That have a lot more $ than knowledge.I refer to them as "dreamers" Meaning they want to get into a 250 w/ a frt 60 or 350 especially as nice as that one is at all costs.Then worry about the "logistics" Like being able to register it after wards.
Why did it never cross this experienced ebay seller's mind that listing the fact that this is NOT an original F350 and that there are TWO titles would be of any importance to potential buyers? I'm a complete dumbass, and even I know that a truck with 2 titles is some pretty damn important information that buyers would want to know.

He has 23 pictures in his auction, but not one of them shows the sticker scratched off the door. He had to have noticed this. This assclown knew he was going to screw somebody.

Why did it never cross this experienced ebay seller's mind that listing the fact that this is NOT an original F350 and that there are TWO titles would be of any importance to potential buyers? I'm a complete dumbass, and even I know that a truck with 2 titles is some pretty damn important information that buyers would want to know.

He has 23 pictures in his auction, but not one of them shows the sticker scratched off the door. He had to have noticed this. This assclown knew he was going to screw somebody.

5.0 would you give a guy on the internet $9600.00 where ur only possible ability of getting it back is litigation for a 30 year old truck without in person looking at the truck first esentially sight unseen ??? Now that I'm thinking about it we don't even know which seller tore/peeled the VIN #'s It could of been the 2nd seller who might be concered about how reselling it would look or he's just blaming the 1st seller for it as a excuse for him wanting a out.We just don't know

Last edited:

RangerPilot

Boom Shaka Laka
Dallas, TX
He also looks rather unhappy that he wasn't informed about the center gas tank not being installed.

The original seller also listed the mileage a good 13K below what it actually was. That would irritate me as well.

I think it's no accident the pictures in the original auction conveniently left out the gas tank, the odometer, the door, etc. No mention of any of them in the auction either. Nor the dual titles. Nor the fact it wasn't even an original truck or body.

This seller knew exactly what he was doing when he listed that truck. He wanted to sell it, with all the typical BS ("This truck has too much to mention"), and tack on "ALL SALES FINAL." to the end, so it's no longer his problem.

I feel bad for the buyer...he absolutely got screwed over, though he has nobody but himself to blame for not checking it out when he got there.

I disagree. The 1st seller never incuded any pictures of the door jamb VIN tags. He has been around these trucks a loooong time. I think he knew exactly what he was doing. Why wouldn't he have put in the information that the truck has two titles? He went out of his way to state "this truck" in his sale ad. I didn't get the impression from the ad that the truck was pieced together.

True, the original seller was hiding info that should have been disclosed but the buyer is not without fault. These days you can't take anyone's word for anything. It was the buyers responsibility to do his research as best a possible before throwing nine grand on the table.

I don't know what you have been looking at but the only trucks that got a VIN tag on the firewall are the Camper Specials. I told him about that tag because it was claimed to be a Camper Special and he said it is not there.

That would be a negative!

Actually, My '73 F-100 4x4 is NOT a camper special and it has a VIN tag on the engine side of the firewall right behind the air cleaner and it matches the door VIN tag. From my understanding this is a tag the assembly workers bolted to the cab during the assembly process.

Yup, My 73 and 67 F-100s have the same tag, its up near the cowl, on the drivers side of the engine bay on the firewall. Also has the paint codes I believe.

Gabe

Actually, My '73 F-100 4x4 is NOT a camper special and it has a VIN tag on the engine side of the firewall right behind the air cleaner and it matches the door VIN tag. From my understanding this is a tag the assembly workers bolted to the cab during the assembly process.

Might be on a 73. I should have clarified what year I was talking about but the truck in question is claimed to be a 79. I'll guarantee you won't find one on any 78-79 F-series other than a F-series Camper Special.

My whole point is the seller screwed the buyer. He has played the game a long time, sells a ton of stuff for these thrucks and knew exactly what to put in the ad and what not to put in the ad.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts