Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

1975 F250 Highboy Tacoma WA area

I think my son and I just bought a 1975 F250 highboy, but after reading a lot, I am really confused about what we actually have. I would love to find a Ford guru somewhere in the Tacoma WA area that I could take it to to tell me what we have and what we "need" to fix. This will be my son's daily driver when he turns 16 in about a year, so we are going to tinker with it for a year. We checked the VIN out on a website and while the 4x4 checks out the 460 engine does not. Seller alos claimed it was a camper special, but again that aspect is very confusing. I am not very mechanically inclined so will need to pay for expertise. Any help you can lend is appreciated.

Thanks
Brett

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
460 and 390 engines were NOT available from the factory with 4WD. You more than likely have a 360 engine(4th digit in the VIN is a "Y"), unless the engine was swapped sometime after purchase.

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
Engine pics or describe it; valve covers, exhaust/intake manifolds, etc. What does the VIN say it's supposed to have?

I think that there's one or two in that neighborhood.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
As Doug said...absolutely zero 460's in 4x4's until 83. 75 would have either had the 300 (B) or 360(Y). So if it has a 460, it's been swapped in, but that's extremely common. Easiest way to know what you have is counting the valve cover bolts.

8= 351m/400
7= 429/460
6= 302/351w
5= 360/390

That'll get you down to the engine family at least. After that, you'll either have to pull the oil pan and get the stamped PN on the crank, or you can pull a spark plug, insert a dowel, rotate the engine by hand and measure the stroke to figure out what you actually have.

Beyond that 'camper special' is becoming the new buzz word for these trucks like 'high boy'. a lot of folks think the bed side toolbox indicates a camper special, where the tool box was actually optional. Beyond that, camper specials had badges on the fenders (should be under the 250 emblem). And there should also be an extra wiring harness/plug that was exclusive to the camper/trailer specials hanging out on the back portion of the frame.

I think my son and I just bought a 1975 F250 highboy, but after reading a lot, I am really confused about what we actually have. I would love to find a Ford guru somewhere in the Tacoma WA area that I could take it to to tell me what we have and what we "need" to fix. This will be my son's daily driver when he turns 16 in about a year, so we are going to tinker with it for a year. We checked the VIN out on a website and while the 4x4 checks out the 460 engine does not. Seller alos claimed it was a camper special, but again that aspect is very confusing. I am not very mechanically inclined so will need to pay for expertise. Any help you can lend is appreciated.

Thanks
Brett

Please take pics of suspension and the actual VIN #is on there right side frame rail.

Door vins don't mean anything
Unless they match the frame vin.

Camperspecial.jpg

As Doug said...absolutely zero 460's in 4x4's until 83. 75 would have either had the 300 (B) or 360(Y). So if it has a 460, it's been swapped in, but that's extremely common. Easiest way to know what you have is counting the valve cover bolts.

8= 351m/400
7= 429/460
6= 302/351w
5= 360/390

That'll get you down to the engine family at least. After that, you'll either have to pull the oil pan and get the stamped PN on the crank, or you can pull a spark plug, insert a dowel, rotate the engine by hand and measure the stroke to figure out what you actually have.

Beyond that 'camper special' is becoming the new buzz word for these trucks like 'high boy'. a lot of folks think the bed side toolbox indicates a camper special, where the tool box was actually optional. Beyond that, camper specials had badges on the fenders (should be under the 250 emblem). And there should also be an extra wiring harness/plug that was exclusive to the camper/trailer specials hanging out on the back portion of the frame.
That's some good info, UTfball68, but when someone says not mechanically inclined I'm not sure if they know what valve covers are, LOL.
But seriously tterb, post some pics of the engine for us, that sounds like an awesome truck you got for your son.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
That's some good info, UTfball68, but when someone says not mechanically inclined I'm not sure if they know what valve covers are, LOL.

Not entirely sure if you're serious...but if you are, we'll get you straightened out.

These are valve covers:
image315.jpg

They cover the valve train on the heads:
image314.jpg

Thanks everyone, I will take some pics this weekend. I already know it is a 460 and not stock as I did the homework on what came in 4x4's during those years. I will take a picture of the valve covers (I actually now what those are, just don't ask me to take them off and put them back correctly).

Thanks again.

Pics of stuff

Here are some pics of items that you guys suggested I take so I can get an better idea of what I have. Is this a "highboy"?

Thanks again.

tterb

Attachments

• 20140720_115111.jpg
  • 20140720_115105.jpg
  • 20140720_115011.jpg
  • 20140720_114933.jpg

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts