Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

1985 Ford E350 w/ 460 7.5L - rescued from the wrecking yard

Hello,

I'm new to the forum and though I don't exactly have a truck, I'm definitely a fan of Ford and the 460 engine. Please let me know if E350s aren't really a part of this forum.

I bought a 1985 Holiday Rambler Alumalite XL 24' built on an E350 that was left sitting for 3-5 years and on last call to get scrapped. It was built 11/84. The RV portion is actually in super good condition (other than appliances), but it needs a lot of mechanical work. I wasn't planning on quite so much mechanical work, so I'm doing it myself. I'd like to refurbish, fix, replace, or upgrade all the mechanical components, but slowly as I'm on a budget. This isn't to live in; it's just a project I'm having fun with. I've also really enjoyed diving deep into Ford, 460s, F- and E-series, and RVs.

The engine is a 460 7.5L and came with an Edelbrock 1411. It runs, but it runs rough. There's evidence of a flameout on cylinder 8 - compression test was good so I hope it's just due to a vacuum or fuel/air mix issue and not something more serious. That's one of the things on my list. I rebuilt the carb that was badly clogged, am about to put in new fuel lines, and am waiting on a rear sending unit (front looks good). I should've tested the rest of the vehicle first before diving into the fuel system, as in the meantime I can't run it to see what's up.

I could really use help with parts ID from time to time, where to find replacement/upgraded parts, tuning questions, etc., for the Ford components. Can anyone recommend a good book on how to dial in a big block engine, transmission, drivetrain, intake/exhaust, etc. for this use? If anyone knows where to find literature or service manuals related to this project, that would be a HUGE help! Otherwise, I'll enjoy digging into your threads.

Thank you,
Sam

Ludachris

Staff member

Fellro

Staff member
Ambulances and delivery type vans will also be about the same thing as you are dealing with. They aren't really any different than the trucks either, the geneeral information still applies.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts