Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

1987 F-150 won't start up

Can't seem to figure out the problem...battery was dead when i tried to start it yesterday so I charged it overnight; battery is working good now. The rear gas tank is leaking but the front isn't so i put 3 gallons in the front tank. The problem i.sn't in the starter either cause i got a new one about 5 months ago and the truck was working then.tried pumpin the gas pedal while starting the truck and that didn't work either. I triedstarting it at 8 this morning before i wnt to work and it was turning over but wasn't starting like I've been explaining and for the past half hour I've been trying to start it. Am I overlooking something?

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Need to check for fuel and spark before going any further.

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
Check for gas st the Schader valve on the fuel rail (looks like a tire valve)
If it sprays out you have fuel. You could always shot a little starting fluid in the throttle body or squirt a little gas in to see if fires.

Last edited:
In my old ford my back gas tank doesn't work as well so i always use the first one. But if i run it pretty low it has to have 5 gallons worth of gas in the tank for it start. It says it right there in my manual on my 94 ford f150.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts