Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

360 oil capacities

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Well I got the 360 in my 72 and it has a rear sump pan on it. I went to check the oil today and it was way below where it should be it looked like there was only a couple quarts in there. I never checked the dipstick when I changed the oil in it like I was supposed to. It has really high oil pressure and I guess thats cause I put 15w40 in it. I put in six quarts and I dont hink it coulda burned that much oil without me knowin it. My 390 burns a ton and its very noticable with how much smoke comes out of it. The 360 I only saw a very small ammount comin out of the right bank tailpipe. It does smoke a bit on startup but I dont think that woulda burned that much oil. I looked in my books and they all say 6 quarts but I dont know if thats for front sump or rear. The guys at napa told me anywhere from 8 to 12 quarts. It also has alot of rocker chatter but I think its from wear and not this.

i was shopping for a rear sump for my 390 and all the ones i found were 8 quarts or more and since the 360 is just a smaller bore size i would assume its the same but it might depend on your pan. is it a side kick out or straight?? i know those side kick outs can hold around 12 quarts

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
I dont know what a side kickout is. Ive never seen one before. Its the stock one that came with it for a 4x4 truck. I think im gonna have to just drain it all out and put in six and check it then go one quart at a time and see how many it holds.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Ok I didnt know if ya meant stock or what. I drained it all out last night and somebody stripped the drain plug before me so they put some wired plug in there thats got one to hold the threads in the pan and then that has a hole in it and theres a smaller plug that goes in that. It had been leakin so I put some sealant on the big one then teflon tape on the little one I need to go check and make sure the sealants dry then Ill put six quarts in and check it then go from there.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Well sure enough it takes six quarts to fill it up with a new filter. Thanks for the help. Ill also never buy another fram oil filter again.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
I dont really care about it I got a 352 that ran sittin in my garage if this one takes a dump on me. I also got the 390 in the 76 I can put in there if I have to and I got another torn down 390 waitin to get rebuilt.

Ford Truck Articles